Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: when close laptop screen everything goes black

I fixed the problem of my Dell D500 doing the same thing good old Techie way.

1. Remove front bevel.

2. Unscrew and remove the small push switch.

3. Replace front bevel.

4. Beer Time.

Quote Originally Posted by elninio View Post
    thanks - wonder why it is set up that way by default, seems annoying an useless.
    Well, I see it as something to save yourself from alot of trouble... Hypothetically speaking, if you were to use it in an illegal manner, and someone were to approach you about it, just close the lid, and there is nothing that can be done but shut it down! and If you are pressed to start it back up, all evidence is gone!
    Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them, because they change things.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by eovnu87435ds View Post
    Well, I see it as something to save yourself from alot of trouble... Hypothetically speaking, if you were to use it in an illegal manner, and someone were to approach you about it, just close the lid, and there is nothing that can be done but shut it down! and If you are pressed to start it back up, all evidence is gone!
    If you don't do illegal things then there's nothing to worry about, now is there?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

That has got to be the stupidest thing I've read here today, so far.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    That has got to be the stupidest thing I've read here today, so far.
    Agreed; not to mention that forensic people know about memory states just like blackhats. Apparently more than some people who speak of hypothetical situations.

I''m also betting that they could get a shell via the Ethernet port or a USB port if the screen is reopened. Based on the description, even if the LCD screen is not powered back on, the machine is still likely waking up.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

yay me? Oh well, i keep it enabled because I'm still in school and many teachers become very suspicious when they overlook me using terminal commands, I dont even have to be auditing!
    Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them, because they change things.

yay me? Oh well, i keep it enabled because I'm still in school and many teachers become very suspicious when they overlook me using terminal commands, I dont even have to be auditing!
    There's absolutely no reason to be secretive when you're doing nothing wrong. Unless, of course, you're doing it intentionally for some strange bit of attention.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    There's absolutely no reason to be secretive when you're doing nothing wrong. Unless, of course, you're doing it intentionally for some strange bit of attention.
    Basically, there are about 3 teachers in the school who are technology literate. If it doesnt look exactly like MS word, excel, or internet explorer, to them it is a "virus" that can destroy the entire school in a split second. It just saves everyone from alot of humiliation

hmm do you think there is a wireless network available on the TTC metro subway system?

1.5 hours one way on the subway, this is about 3 hours a day. I absolutely MUST know how to get this thing working. Its about 20% of the time I spend awake. This is a significant portion of time!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12