Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unable to boot from USB stick

Just burned his ISO

Default Unable to boot from USB stick

Hi,

Topic: hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=12660 refers.

I had the error is bt3b, and have the error now in the final release. I'm absolutely certain that the usb version downloaded fine, as I've checked the md5, and burned it to DVD (from which it boots without errors).

One of the posters to the original thread alluded to having found a fix for it, but hasnt posted any details.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm hardly running exotic hardware with a Dell Inspiron 1501!

Regards,

Kruge

Just burned his ISO

wmhrae,

Could you go into a bit more details as to what causes the error, and how to fix it, so that perhaps it can get fixed in the distro?

Cheers,

Kruge

Just burned his ISO

It might be the USB stick or your USB port, certain ports don't allow booting. Also, does your USB stick have a lock? If it does, switch it off.

Just burned his ISO

No, there is no lock on the stick.

I've tried it with two different sticks and an external usb hdd, all with the same error.

The boot process starts, so that shows that the computer is able to boot from the usb drives, but it gets part way through and throws that error.

Any more ideas?

100's of people have successfully installed BT3b to their USB sticks, so I would be inclined to think it's an individual problem.

I have seen many people have issues trying to do this from a Windows environment.
    (I haven't attempted this myself)

Often, it would seem the simplest method is to do it from within the BT CD (or *nix at least) using the .sh script.

Don't forget the minor alterations that need to be done to a couple of files before attempting to use the script
    (The changes are well documented here in the forums)

You have verified the d/l??

Just burned his ISO

I just tried the usb stick on another computer, and it booted fine. I'd say there is something funky going on.

I appreciate that the majority of people using bt3.0 and 3b havent had any problems with it, and that therefore this problem ranks pretty low in the list of priorities, but if anyone can shed any light on the issue it'd be great. Otherwise I'll have to buy a new laptop, which would be nice, but somewhat extravagant.

Cheers,

Kruge

Just burned his ISO

Re@lity: I'm still having this problem in 3.0, and have an open thread in the 3.0 bugs forum. I agree that it affects a very small number of people, but it'd be nice to be able to fix it and not have to buy a new laptop!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity
    I have seen many people have issues trying to do this from a Windows environment.
    (I haven't attempted this myself)
    I used the windows batch file (windows vista) and it did not work.
    Went right over to bt2 and used the .sh script and it worked just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruge View Post
    Re@lity: I'm still having this problem in 3.0, and have an open thread in the 3.0 bugs forum. I agree that it affects a very small number of people, but it'd be nice to be able to fix it and not have to buy a new laptop!
    You might wanna try a different usb stick sometimes and it is rare but the model or brand or whatever makes it difficult.

Also please limit your self to one thread per problem you are all over the map and it is hard to track and help you out. You have a thread in the bugs and fixes section but you have not provided a fix that is the key part. This makes it easier for the dev's to make fixes to the distro.

Maybe one of the mods can merge all of the threads together.

Also please go back and try all of the different boot options
    Also have a look at the wiki for cheat codes you might need one of them.

Once you have tried all options then please let us know your results.
    Also paste the exact error message here in this thread.

To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

I've been getting the same error message with the new version. Everything works, so I'm not too worried about it.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

I checked the HCL, and it reports that the Dell Inspiron 1501 should work without any extra params, which it does when booting from CD/DVD. I looked through the wiki, and it doesnt strike me that using any of the cheat codes there would make any difference.

I've tried two different usb sticks, and a usb hard drive, all three fail with the same error on my laptop. I tried the usb stick in my desktop computer, and it worked fine, which leads me to think its some hardware issue with the laptop. But it's puzzling why it would fail when booting from usb, but yet work fine (including usb support) when booting from CD.

The error which occurs under bt3.0 is the same as the one I posted earlier in the thread under bt3b.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast