Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wifi Antennas & Signal Booster Question

Reefy

Question Wifi Antennas & Signal Booster Question

Hi all me again, I have a few questions regarding wifi antennas and signal boosters.

Ok, Im planning on buying one but not really sure on which to get. I did some research and I think omni directional is the one for me, but then again I can be wrong lol. Ok now with signal booster, do they even work? If so, which one is best? For the time being, I have my eyes set on the Aerial 12 dbi omni directional antenna. Has any body ever used this antenna before? For the booster, I was going to buy the Hawkins HSB2 high gain booster. I have been reading lots of feed back regarding the booster and it seems abit iffy. 50% is good, 50% is bad, lol.

I’m planning on boosting the signal for my alfa 500mW and I’m open for suggestions

Thanks for stopping by.

An omni directional antenna for what purpose? Mobile? Stationary? WarDriving? Wireless pen testing? Define the use, and someone may be able to help you chose the right antenna.

As far as the "power booster" goes: Radio Frequency Power Amplifiers (the real name of such devices) are something that can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing with them. RF radiation burns can be serious, and it's pretty easy to get one with an amp, especially if you don't know what you are doing. Give yourself some time to become knowledgeable in the subject before purchasing one. Amps have their applications, but there are distinct downsides to using them. For example, besides boosting the RF power, amps also boost the Noise, so you have to be prepared to deal with that. Amps also increase the potential for SWR damage to the equipment if you cables aren't up to snuff. Another problem is that it is very easy to exceed the legal limits using the wrong combination of antenna and amp. think of it this way: Do you really need a visit from the FCC and a $10,000 fine (or worse, endanger you health or that of your family) because you didn't know what you were doing?

Once you have gained some knowledge of the subject, then you can determine if you even need an amp.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

For starters I would recommend an completely free alternative. Try building a parabolic - or corner reflector model using one of the templates at www.freeantennas.com. They will not take more than 20 minutes to get together and as long as you follow the templates carefully you are guranteed a seriously boosted signal at no cost apart from the paper used to build them.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Reefy

Thorn, the reason I wanted to buy an omni antenna and booster is to boost my wireless adapters range to crack wep. I'm currently at a family members house in another state for work and its been about two months, they don’t have internet. I have tried everything, even asking the neighbors “one of which I gave $10 to use his wireless net and that *** changed the password in 6 hours” Well that’s a story for another time. But yea, I am very thankful to BT and all the contributing members that try to help others. Regarding the booster, If its too dangerous to have one, then I might stay away from it. But if its that dangerous then why do they sell them?

Tron, thank you for the info, I’ll try building one of those reflectors and see how it goes. But how much range can you get out of one of those vs a 12dbi omni directional?

Thorn, the reason I wanted to buy an omni antenna and booster is to boost my wireless adapters range to crack wep. I'm currently at a family members house in another state for work and its been about two months, they don’t have internet. I have tried everything, even asking the neighbors “one of which I gave $10 to use his wireless net and that *** changed the password in 6 hours” Well that’s a story for another time.
    Well I am sure I must still be dreaming, because to me it sounds like you are admitting to wanting to break the law just there. Please take into account that even though WEP encryption is laughable at best, it still does not give you the right to use these connections as you please. If you are this desperate for an interweb connection just work out a deal with your cellular provider and you will not be limited by landlines anymore. And best of all it is completely legal.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Reefy View Post
    Thorn, the reason I wanted to buy an omni antenna and booster is to boost my wireless adapters range to crack wep. I'm currently at a family members house in another state for work and its been about two months, they don’t have internet. I have tried everything, even asking the neighbors “one of which I gave $10 to use his wireless net and that *** changed the password in 6 hours” Well that’s a story for another time. But yea, I am very thankful to BT and all the contributing members that try to help others. Regarding the booster, If its too dangerous to have one, then I might stay away from it. But if its that dangerous then why do they sell them?

Tron, thank you for the info, I’ll try building one of those reflectors and see how it goes. But how much range can you get out of one of those vs a 12dbi omni directional?
    Congratulations, you've just admitted to wanting to commit a felony on a public forum!

Please enjoy your stay.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Reefy

Lol just cause I want to dosent mean that I have "I.E signal booster" but thanks for the info.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Reefy View Post
    Lol just cause I want to dosent mean that I have "I.E signal booster" but thanks for the info.
    Maybe you should go back and actually read the rules of the forum.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn
    RF radiation burns can be serious, and it's pretty easy to get one with an amp, especially if you don't know what you are doing.
    Yeah I have had many of those messing around with military radios and "man ya wanna talk about fun" I still have a faint glow in a dark room.
    Not to mention on of the newer HF model radios has like a 3 foot "You will be burned" danger area. I believe this thing could cook an egg in a matter of minutes when transmitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Reefy
    Thorn, the reason I wanted to buy an omni antenna and booster is to boost my wireless adapters range to crack wep. I'm currently at a family members house in another state for work and its been about two months, they don’t have internet. I have tried everything, even asking the neighbors “one of which I gave $10 to use his wireless net and that *** changed the password in 6 hours” Well that’s a story for another time.
    unfortunately for you this story that you did such a good job of hiding is out of the bag. Good show !
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Reefy

lol well I realy have nothing to hide, Im really new to this have not done anthing wrong. There are other reasons why I want to boost my signal like connecting to free hot spots around the corner. I dont know how to use linux and like have no clue how to even crack wep, so take it as a joke. If it bothers you guys that much, I'll edit my post. Sorry If I offended any of you.

p.s.. I didnt read the rules till now sorry.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast