Thread: USB Install Compiz not working

Default USB Install Compiz not working

I successfully installed the usb version to hd and I noticed Compiz isn't working properly. Although when I open the manager all the settings are correct and it's selected as the window manager, there aren't any effects. Is there something I should have put in the grub.conf/lilo.conf file to get it up and running? It worked fine when running from usb so I'm sure it's not the video card. My guess is it's probably an init script or something simple I need to add.
    ================================================== ===
    Dr. Walter - Depraved linguist, Benevolent troublemaker extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by drwalter View Post
    I successfully installed the usb version to hd and I noticed Compiz isn't working properly. Although when I open the manager all the settings are correct and it's selected as the window manager, there aren't any effects. Is there something I should have put in the grub.conf/lilo.conf file to get it up and running? It worked fine when running from usb so I'm sure it's not the video card. My guess is it's probably an init script or something simple I need to add.
    I can't even get into kde-vesa. What hardware are you running?

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    I can't even get into kde-vesa. What hardware are you running?
    Hp pavillion dv2000 with an intel video card. I'm pretty sure it's not a hw problem because it worked off the live cd(burned usb to dvd) and on my other linux distros.

Hp pavillion dv2000 with an intel video card. I'm pretty sure it's not a hw problem because it worked off the live cd(burned usb to dvd) and on my other linux distros.
    I assumed it wasn't hardware, I was just asking to see if you had nVidia as well....

I also burned the USB to DVD, and have yet to figure out what's going on. For some reason, I think that udev wants /dev/nvidiactl to be root:video while it and nvidia0 are listed as root:root ...... I have no idea what's going on, or if that indeed has anything to do with the problem....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Default Fixed my problem!

Well actually I looked over one of your(ShadowKill) other posts for compiz (so thanks!! ) and I noticed that when i copied from usb the lzm2dir files weren't copied then I added cubez to my autoexec in the grub.conf file. I don't know if that will help but it worked for me. Anyway here's the addition I made to my grub.conf file

Title Backtrack 3 KDE Compiz
    rootnoverify (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=791 root=/dev/sda3 ro autoexec=xconf;cubez;kdm
    boot

Well actually I looked over one of your(ShadowKill) other posts for compiz (so thanks!! ) and I noticed that when i copied from usb the lzm2dir files weren't copied then I added cubez to my autoexec in the grub.conf file. I don't know if that will help but it worked for me. Anyway here's the addition I made to my grub.conf file
    Well shit on me..... Go figure I would'a solved my own problem and not even had the decency to remember it.......

Thanks bud, I'll let you know how it worked out

~ShadowKill

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    Go figure I would'a solved my own problem and not even had the decency to remember it.......
    That's great! haha gl!

Thanks it works great from the Nivdia option of the DVD; however, nothing mounts after a hard drive install.
    I am going to do a re-install and try again.