Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install backtrack 3 final from the shell

Developer

you will have to install lilo to sda in order for that to work. sdb is the second boot device or go in you bios and change the order of the drives booting so sdb is first.

is it possible to install lilo on lets say /dev/sda6 ?? i'm redoing my laptop's partitions and want independant boot loaders for each respective OS controlled by my first layer "host" boot loader. i'm honestly a newb with lilo as i've only used grub, system commander and boot.ini in the past...

ideally i want this:

mer-der-ah.net/ideal.JPG

Sorry, but years of tweed and booze have left me with only 1.5 neurons!

I am trying to use the tut to install from one usb flash install to another usb hdd.

everything seems to work fine until I get to the lilo bit where it says that the map is on a different disk! Everything copied ok but just blinking cursor when attempt to boot. Tried to chroot back into it but only seems to work if I dev zer0 the disk and follow whole tut again.

Sorry for stupid question.

Back to the tweed!!!

B.

Default My question too.

Quote Originally Posted by xirtam View Post
    i have partioned my drive but do i need to set up the file system e.g. mkfs.ext3 /dev/hdc1?
    I was wonmdering if anyone had any further advice to this post. I get the partitioning fine... but DO need to perform the filesystem steps?

I assume that the lilo menu shows up, right? if so you can change the root parameter. let's assume the title in the lilo menu shows the name "backtrack" you can change the parameter to

backtrack root=/dev/sd[your_parameters]

I had a similar issue once with two USB devices. it was a sdb on install but a sda on boot. I booted with the above parameter, changed the lilo.conf on success and fired up lilo -v. works fine for me so far.
    best regards

Default install backtrack3 final on windows xp

hi can anyone tell me please
    i fallowed good girl tutorial but i stuck in making fdisk /dev/sda how can you make sda 5 and 6 when it doesn't allow you to do that this is error i get it only let you make partition between 1 and 4

t ~ # fdisk /dev/sda

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 14593.
    There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
    and could in certain setups cause problems with:
    1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
    2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 2600 20878784+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2 13816 14593 6249285 12 Compaq diagnostics

Command (m for help): n
    Command action
    e extended
    p primary partition (1-4)
    p
    Partition number (1-4): 3
    First cylinder (2600-14593, default 2600): +2600M
    Value out of range.
    First cylinder (2600-14593, default 2600):
    Using default value 2600
    Last cylinder or +size or +sizeM or +sizeK (2600-13815, default 13815): +2600M

Command action
    e extended
    p primary partition (1-4)
    p
    Selected partition 4
    First cylinder (2917-14593, default 2917): 4
    Value out of range.
    First cylinder (2917-14593, default 2917):
    Using default value 2917
    Last cylinder or +size or +sizeM or +sizeK (2917-13815, default 13815): +13815M

You must delete some partition and add an extended partition first

Command (m for help):

You must delete some partition and add an extended partition first
    There is your answer! A HDD can only hold a maximum of 4 primary partitions; thus if you want to have more than four, you must make the last one an extended partition which will allow you to make as many logical partitions as you which. You might want to google partitions, it will clarify this for you.

Quote Originally Posted by adri_ht_ View Post
    There is your answer! A HDD can only hold a maximum of 4 primary partitions; thus if you want to have more than four, you must make the last one an extended partition which will allow you to make as many logical partitions as you which. You might want to google partitions, it will clarify this for you.
    This is absolutely correct, but just to make it perfectly clear for mahabad1972, you can have max 4 primary partitions or optionally 3 primary + 1 extended partition divided into as many logical partitions as you want. There is no way to circumvent this limit so you will have to convert one of your primary partitions into an extended one to be able to divide your HDD into more parts than you currently have. Using a boot-loader you can also boot an OS just fine from one of the logical partitions.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter007 View Post
    I assume that the lilo menu shows up, right? if so you can change the root parameter. let's assume the title in the lilo menu shows the name "backtrack" you can change the parameter to

backtrack root=/dev/sd[your_parameters]

I had a similar issue once with two USB devices. it was a sdb on install but a sda on boot. I booted with the above parameter, changed the lilo.conf on success and fired up lilo -v. works fine for me so far.
    Thanks. No menu. Only cursor. Will try in syslinux.cfg

Thanks for response.

Gone back to usb with changes.
    "When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on!" - Thomas Jefferson.

Just burned his ISO

Ok first off thanks PureHate for your tutorial, worked great! I am having one problem though. I am using an HP that needed the "acpi=off noacip" cheat in vesa kde mode to get past a little blank screen problem. Just wanted to know how exactly to do this with the HDD install because once again I am having the same problem again. Please help, I have been searching these forums for some time now with no luck.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast