Thread: How to install backtrack 3 final from the shell

Quote Originally Posted by hell333 View Post
    While i do this:

bt / # chroot /mnt/backtrack/ /bin/bash

I get error like:

egrep: /proc/cmdline: No such file or directory

Can someone tell me where i am doing wrong?

I have vista on sda1 and i am installing from USB.

So, do i need to change

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/backtrack/boot/

to

mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/backtrack/boot/

I have vista on sda1, backtrack on sda3(trying to install it) and sda4 is swap .
    read my posts below. I too have Vista and bt3 running. My partitions are a different then yours, but read the posts and adjust the parition #'s accordingly. (I installed using the bt3_final_usb cd. Not directly from a usb stick)

A short question: What do i need to add to the lilo.conf to get X and KDE started when bt boots?

I've tried:
    append = "autoexec=xconf;kdm" and it does'nt work.

Quote Originally Posted by Schtekarn View Post
    A short question: What do i need to add to the lilo.conf to get X and KDE started when bt boots?

I've tried:
    append = "autoexec=xconf;kdm" and it does'nt work.
    Check out the following thread:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=14402
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Thank you for that. Now another question popped up in my head
    I would like a dual boot, one with the usual boot and one with the KDE. Is it possible to set the runlevel in the lilo conf?

Just burned his ISO Lex_Talionis's Avatar

Default Just thought I'd share this...

Well first off I currently own 2 neurons I just spent hours troubleshooting 2 BT3 installs one for my box and one for my laptop. I already know how to install bt as they both had bt2 already installed. Anyway to the point I use a standard lilo.conf for both boxes only changing hda to sda accordingly. So during one of my copy/paste/edits i screwed up and lost an "=" sign in a most horrible place where is not relevant but this is >>> "CHECK YOUR SYNTAX"!!! you'll save yourself countless hours of frustration better spent on cheese.

Just burned his ISO

what about using kde point and click just to get things going just a bit faster ...just walk away after you point ans click hxxp://xxx.exact-hosting.com/slax-install.rar..
    I know you guys are going to get mad at me but.. I thought i might throw this in to help some of the guys out..

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    This tutorial is going to assume a few things....

1. You have at least 2 neurons in your brain and that there is not to much tar build up between them from smoking tweed.

2. Your already partitioned and ready to go. (If you need a tutorial on partitioning I cant help you)

3. You have heard of a shell and know how to get one going.

Alright so lets begin. I'm going to cover installing backtrack to harddrive to ways. #1 with a /boot partition and #2 where bt is all on one partition. (just a side note. The team is trying to shy away from HD installs and is encouraging USB install which in my humble opinion is the best way to go).Most of this info is from various sources on the wiki and I will attempt to put it into one tutorial for newer members.
    So you have a fresh HD with 3 partitions..
    sda1=/boot
    sda2=swap
    sda3= /

Boot your live cd and open a bash shell and begin.

If your swap is not yet made then do this..(otherwise omit this step)
    bt~#mkswap /dev/sda2
    bt~#swapon /dev/sda2

bt~#mkdir /mnt/backtrack
    bt~#mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/backtrack/
    bt~#mkdir /mnt/backtrack/boot/
    bt~#mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/backtrack/boot/ (note: If you only have one partiton to install backtrack to simply omit this step)
    bt~#cp --preserve -R /{bin,dev,home,pentest,root,usr,etc,lib,opt,sbin,va r} /mnt/backtrack/ <<< note: there is no space in var. Seems to be a glitch in the matrix
    bt~#mkdir /mnt/backtrack/{mnt,proc,sys,tmp}
    bt~#mount --bind /dev/ /mnt/backtrack/dev/
    bt~#mount -t proc proc /mnt/backtrack/proc/
    bt~#cp /boot/vmlinuz /mnt/backtrack/boot/

Now for lilo.
    bt~#chroot /mnt/backtrack/ /bin/bash
    bt~#nano /etc/lilo.conf

Now I like to delete all the bulls**t in the lilo config file so here is what mine would look like. (remember to set your own VGA accordingly )

lba32
    boot /dev/sda
    prompt
    timeout=60
    change-rules
    reset
    vga=791
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/sda3
    label = backtrack3_final

Excellent. Save that and then execute lilo (I like to use the verbose flag)
    bt~#lilo -v

after that exit your chroot enviorment
    bt/~exit

and reboot and cross your fingers

bt~#reboot
    Hi
    Thanks your topics.
    But i can't install BT 3 to HDD.
    My hard is several partition's.NTFS and EXT3 and SWAP.
    Swap and one ext3(active) is primery (not logical) and one ext3 is logical,But to this commend "bt ~ # mount --bind /dev/ /mnt/backtrack/dev/"
    receipt this error "mount: mount point /mnt/backtrack/dev/ does not exis"
    please help me.
    BackTrack is very very good. I Love BT3.
    I'm put to shame, my english language is very bad.
    Thanks for all.

to be honest with you, i think they were working on a bt3 installer but abandoned it, as there's one not in kde but in flux. check it out for yourselves (for those familiar with bt2, it's in the same menu...). click it and it won't run properly. i'm sure with some tinkering it will work...

Quote Originally Posted by merderah View Post
    to be honest with you, i think they were working on a bt3 installer but abandoned it, as there's one not in kde but in flux. check it out for yourselves (for those familiar with bt2, it's in the same menu...). click it and it won't run properly. i'm sure with some tinkering it will work...
    As there existed a fully working installer in BT3 beta, they could easily have included one in BT3 Final as well if they had wanted to. It is not like they worked on an installer, but didn't manage to finish it. It was a conscious choice to leave it out and encourage users to run a live USB installation with persistent changes instead.

Most likely the installer you found in flux is therefore a remainder from the BT3 beta version.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Default Lilo help?

I've followed this tutorial, but I have a problem.

When I reboot, the kernel loads but stops and gives me something along these lines:

Can't mount block device sdb2 (fs-unknown)
    Please specify a valid "boot=" parameter.

First, here's my setup:
    sda1 through sda5 is my windows install on my internal hd
    sdb2 holds my linux install (sdb1 is just storage) on my external usb hardrive

I've tried different "boot=" parameters. Using sda1-5 will work (I'll get past the error, but linux won't load for obvious reasons) but sdb1 and sdb2 don't exist.

If I use the bootlilo.sh script from the BT3 install to install Linux, then linux WILL load, (but then since I installed BT3 uncompressed will yell at me about the BT3 directory not existing)

Help?

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast