Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install backtrack 3 final from the shell

Just burned his ISO

to answer someone above i have a 4g eeepc and the cd version fits in, although i end up with less than 50mb so im guessing if you're doing it with the usb version it probably won't fit once decompressed

Just burned his ISO

Just want to say thanks PH for the howto, works on the first try.

vey niiice!

thanks much PH...

Just burned his ISO

pureh@te - I was able to use your instructions to replace my BT 3 Beta install with BT Final on my MacBook's 5 GB Boot Camp partition. However, I probably have less than 2 neurons in my brain, because it took me forever to figure out that I needed to first do

umount /dev/sda3

before I could do the first command:

mkdir /mnt/backtrack

Also, I made my lilo config file identical to yours, which works fine on the MacBook. However, when I booted up for the first time,
    I got an error message saying that the label backtrack3_final was too long, so I changed it to BT3, and it worked.

Thanks for the tutorial!

Also, thanks to jeroenimo's tutorial which allowed me to get BT 3 Beta up and running on the hard drive using Boot Camp and rEFIt.

ok guys i did the same instructions that ph wrote here and it the same instructions used for BT2 install , however when i tried this with BT3 final i couldnt find my drivers in the mnt directory even when i went to storage device and opened my drivers its shows empty nothing in it , iam trying to figure out what wrong but if you guys know whats the problem or if its a bug please let me know
    thanks

Developer

I'm not following? What drivers and why are they in the /mnt directory? If your having issues with a removable device of some sort its probably not automounting (which I dont like anyway) . I'm going to assume the issue is you got some stuff on a thumb drive you want to add to backtrack. If so then...

insert device and the type "dmesg" in a shell. The last 10 lines or so should show you a device name like sda,sdb,sdc or some thing like that. If not you got bigger problems.

After you know the name of the device simply do this (assuming the device is sda)

mkdir /mnt/sda
    mount /dev/sda /mnt/sda
    cd /mnt/sda
    ls ( or whatever you need to do at this point)

If that doesn't clear it up then repost with a clearer picture about whats going on.

thanks ph for your reply , i solved the problem
    it was my hard drives that was not mounted and i mounted by mkdir /mount
    i guess i little drunk thanks for the reply brother

Good friend of the forums

Quote Originally Posted by ghostface View Post
    Hello guys,

If you all have notice, backtrack 3 final didn't come with the option to install OS to hard disk. But there is an easy way around that. Now, if you have the backtrack 2 or 3 beta version. Goto /usr/share/slax/ and copy BT3.kmdr or slax-install.kmdr. Use can now use that file to install backtrack 3 final to your hard disk. If you have anymore problems let me know.

Muts, and all you guys at Remote-Exploit... I am so sorry for letting this out of the bag. But I wanted to help the newbies out. Because someone helped me once before.

Ghostface
    I am trying to do a real install of BT3 Final to my external usb hard drive. I tried your instructions and they look like they work but they don't. Several files are missing /var/log/* and /etc/* to name a few. /var/log/packages and /etc/hostname specifically among others. I used the BT3.kmdr from my working BT3 beta.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Quote Originally Posted by bofh28 View Post
    I am trying to do a real install of BT3 Final to my external usb hard drive. I tried your instructions and they look like they work but they don't. Several files are missing /var/log/* and /etc/* to name a few. /var/log/packages and /etc/hostname specifically among others. I used the BT3.kmdr from my working BT3 beta.
    Just follow the command line installation method instead, it has been tested and verified to work by several of the members on the forum already and is as easy as can be to follow.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Developer

I used the BT3.kmdr from my working BT3 beta.
    I would like to make it absolutely clear that I do not endorse this method of doing the install and thats not what this thread is about. Please do not post in this threads with problems from the install script.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast