Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install backtrack 3 final from the shell

Just burned his ISO

Default error when editing /mnt/backtrack/boot

I am getting a "cp: connot create regular file '/mnt/backtrack/boot/vmlinuz': Read-only file system" error

Not sure where to go from here.

I tried the chmod and it still says Read-only

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just burned his ISO

I'm doing it PH's way, but I keep getting this error. Does anyone know what it is and how to bypass it?

Code:
    bt ~ # cp --preserve -R /{bin,dev,home,pentest,root,usr,etc,lib,opt,sbin,var} /mnt/backtrack/
    cp: `/dev' and `/mnt/backtrack/dev' are the same file
    cp: cannot create fifo `/mnt/backtrack/lib/udev/devices/initctl': File exists
    cp: cannot create special file `/mnt/backtrack/lib/udev/devices/null': File exists
    cp: cannot create special file `/mnt/backtrack/lib/udev/devices/ppp': File exists
    cp: cannot create special file `/mnt/backtrack/lib/udev/devices/zero': File exists
    cp: cannot create special file `/mnt/backtrack/var/run/xdmctl/dmctl-:0/socket': File exists
    cp: cannot create fifo `/mnt/backtrack/var/run/xdmctl/xdmctl-:0': File exists
    cp: cannot create special file `/mnt/backtrack/var/run/xdmctl/dmctl/socket': File exists
    cp: cannot create fifo `/mnt/backtrack/var/run/xdmctl/xdmctl': File exists
    cp: cannot create special file `/mnt/backtrack/var/run/acpid.socket': File exists
    cp: cannot create special file `/mnt/backtrack/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket': File exists
    cp: cannot create special file `/mnt/backtrack/var/run/cups/cups.sock': File exists

I'm doing it PH's way, but I keep getting this error. Does anyone know what it is and how to bypass it?
    It would seem to me like you have not mounted an empty partition to /mnt/backtrack as it is complaining about /dev and /mnt/backtrack/dev being the same file. Also make sure you run these commands logged in with the BT3 Final CD/USB and not using an old installation of BT.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

sak3r I followed the instructions quoted in your post below and managed to get bt3final installed on my hard drive. What puzzles me is, at the end of this install I don't know if I've got a live install or a real install....(?)

Developer

If you did it my way you have a real install.

Just burned his ISO

I have a problem I try to install on my eee 701 with three partition
    /dev/hdc1 -- boot -- size:+50M
    /dev/hdc2 -- swap -- size: +512M
    /dev/hdc3 -- / -- size: reset of drive

and I formatted the hdc1 and hdc3 with ext3

but every time I use the command
    Code:
    bt~#cp --preserve -R /{bin,dev,home,pentest,root,usr,etc,lib,opt,sbin,va r} /mnt/backtrack/
    but it takes 2 hours and then ends up telling me that there was not enough space.

I followed the directions and I don't know what I am doing wrong

could someone enlighten me?

Just burned his ISO

Hello,

I just want to leave a message here for PH. Thank you for this tutorial
    It helped me out a great deal. Honestly, like it more than the BackTrack Installer method.

Developer

I just want to leave a message here for PH. Thank you for this tutorial
    It helped me out a great deal. Honestly, like it more than the BackTrack Installer method.
    Thank you very much outletgenie

but it takes 2 hours and then ends up telling me that there was not enough space.
    Redwind, I would love to help however I have never installed to the harddrive of the eeepc. I have mine on sdcard in fact I have only booted the xandros OS one time since I've had the eeepc.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    This tutorial is going to assume a few things....

1. You have at least 2 neurons in your brain and that there is not to much tar build up between them from smoking tweed.

2. Your already partitioned and ready to go. (If you need a tutorial on partitioning I cant help you)

3. You have heard of a shell and know how to get one going.

Alright so lets begin. I'm going to cover installing backtrack to harddrive to ways. #1 with a /boot partition and #2 where bt is all on one partition. (just a side note. The team is trying to shy away from HD installs and is encouraging USB install which in my humble opinion is the best way to go).Most of this info is from various sources on the wiki and I will attempt to put it into one tutorial for newer members.
    So you have a fresh HD with 3 partitions..
    sda1=/boot
    sda2=swap
    sda3= /

Boot your live cd and open a bash shell and begin.

If your swap is not yet made then do this..(otherwise omit this step)
    bt~#mkswap /dev/sda2
    bt~#swapon /dev/sda2

bt~#mkdir /mnt/backtrack
    bt~#mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/backtrack/
    bt~#mkdir /mnt/backtrack/boot/
    bt~#mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/backtrack/boot/ (note: If you only have one partiton to install backtrack to simply omit this step)
    bt~#cp --preserve -R /{bin,dev,home,pentest,root,usr,etc,lib,opt,sbin,va r} /mnt/backtrack/ <<< note: there is no space in var. Seems to be a glitch in the matrix
    bt~#mkdir /mnt/backtrack/{mnt,proc,sys,tmp}
    bt~#mount --bind /dev/ /mnt/backtrack/dev/
    bt~#mount -t proc proc /mnt/backtrack/proc/
    bt~#cp /boot/vmlinuz /mnt/backtrack/boot/

Now for lilo.
    bt~#chroot /mnt/backtrack/ /bin/bash
    bt~#nano /etc/lilo.conf

Now I like to delete all the bulls**t in the lilo config file so here is what mine would look like. (remember to set your own VGA accordingly )

lba32
    boot /dev/sda
    prompt
    timeout=60
    change-rules
    reset
    vga=791
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/sda3
    label = backtrack3_final

Excellent. Save that and then execute lilo (I like to use the verbose flag)
    bt~#lilo -v

after that exit your chroot enviorment
    bt/~exit

and reboot and cross your fingers

bt~#reboot

Ok...I have read with very much interest this one because I have installed on my hdd in dual boot with the XP the beta version of the BT3.

I have tried to update manually to the BT3 final based on this tutorial after I discovered that is no other way to install it from the GUI and I encountered some difficulties in this upgrade process.

I have changed my post..I will try to copy the old BT3.kmdr and run it from command line for upgrade porcess based on some awesome advices founded here....

Maybe I was too upset because the old toys gone but after all the evolution is good..

Thank you again.

I have tried to use the command that you already described in the tutorial:

cp --preserve -R /{bin,dev,home,pentest,root,usr,etc,lib,opt,sbin,va r} /

but I have received for all the same output:

cp: '/bin' and '/bin' are the same file....etc
    The post 6 posts above yours would not happen to have anything to do with your problem?

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Also make sure you run these commands logged in with the BT3 Final CD/USB and not using an old installation of BT.
    Apart from this make sure that you mount the correct drive on /mnt/backtrack.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast