Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install backtrack 3 final from the shell

Just burned his ISO J_dillinger's Avatar

With flash drives getting to the size they are, what is the differance between a hard drive install and a USB install? What I want from bt3 is an installed / configurable version on a flash drive. The 4 gig flash drive is large enough to have an installed version with profiles and a root password other than toor. I would like a usb install that is customized with ted or open office, the things i use other than backtrack3 tools to make the system a little more comfortable. My portable computer system. Systems like DSL just don't have the power I want from a keychain system... I have installed knoppix and was able to customize and lock down the system on a 4 gig flash drive. I have an 8 gig flash with an ext3 partition and a 1 gig swap partition... If I follow the instructions provided by pure hate, will I mess up GRUB on my box now and have to load the computer with the flash drive in the system? A problem I had doing a different flash install.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks pureh@te, this Tutorial was very helpful! Install went very smoothly and works perfectly!

For anyone wondering why I chose to install to my HDD is simply because I use this laptop only for this purpose. I have been running BT2 until today when I finally had the time to change over to BT3. Using the laptop in the field USB drives can get broken easily.

Just burned his ISO

Default no room left on device.

first off excellent tutorial,of the thousands out there with various different methods this is nice and simple to follow..im having a problem though.when i reach this stage :

bt~#cp --preserve -R /{bin,dev,home,pentest,root,usr,etc,lib,opt,sbin,va r} /mnt/backtrack/

im returned with the errors no space left on device?? all partitions are set correct..any help??

Quote Originally Posted by K7@$# View Post
    first off excellent tutorial,of the thousands out there with various different methods this is nice and simple to follow..im having a problem though.when i reach this stage :

bt~#cp --preserve -R /{bin,dev,home,pentest,root,usr,etc,lib,opt,sbin,va r} /mnt/backtrack/

im returned with the errors no space left on device?? all partitions are set correct..any help??
    I don't see what else could it be... Do you have enough space in the partition mounted at /mnt/backtrack/?

Expanded, BT3 is about 3.4GB. You might not have enough free space on your drive.

I just followed these steps, but I can't boot into BT3. I installed it on my HDD as sda10, with changes as sda12. I had GRUB on the MBR already, so I just added an entry for BT3.

Code:
    title		BT3 HDD
    root		(hd0,9)
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/sda10 rw changes=/dev/sda12 autoexec=xconf;kdm
    initrd		/boot/initrd.gz
    Boot seizes up when looking for the BT3 directory. Is the lack of a BT3/ directory causing the crash, or is it an error with my grub entry?
    ThinkPad T400

Developer

I installed it on my HDD as sda10, with changes as sda12
    This would mean you have a live install not a real install so thats probably why its not working.

Alright, thanks. I get rid of the changes, since I don't have the live install, I have a full install with the changes argument.

I found out the problem - it was the initrd. Taking it out solved the problem.
    ThinkPad T400

Just burned his ISO

This is how my partition table looks,im assuming backtrack hdd install is for sda3 (which is what i specify when following tutorial) but as mentioned before it states no more space on device when using the cp --preserve........etc.

Disk Drive: /dev/sda
    Size: 58506416640 bytes, 58.5 GB
    Heads: 255 Sectors per Track: 63 Cylinders: 7113

Name Flags Part Type FS Type [Label] Size (MB)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sda3 Primary Linux ReiserFS 56499.45
    sda2 Primary Linux swap 1003.49
    sda1 Boot Primary Linux 1003.49

i would have thought the 57 gig free would be sufficiant to install BT3 :P

This is how my partition table looks,im assuming backtrack hdd install is for sda3 (which is what i specify when following tutorial) but as mentioned before it states no more space on device when using the cp --preserve........etc.

Disk Drive: /dev/sda
    Size: 58506416640 bytes, 58.5 GB
    Heads: 255 Sectors per Track: 63 Cylinders: 7113

Name Flags Part Type FS Type [Label] Size (MB)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sda3 Primary Linux ReiserFS 56499.45
    sda2 Primary Linux swap 1003.49
    sda1 Boot Primary Linux 1003.49

i would have thought the 57 gig free would be sufficiant to install BT3 :P
    Is there the wrong partition mounted? Check to make sure that it is installing to sda3, and don't forget to make a filesystem on sda1.
    ThinkPad T400

Just burned his ISO

ok, i seem to have the same problem as stagger did a while back in that it will not let me chroot /mnt/backtrack/ /bin/bash it tells me there is no file at /bin/bash while i know there is. i have completely restarted my installation several times trying to fix this problem and i have also tryed to mount -o bind /dev /mnt/backtrack/dev as instructed by another but to no avail so some help from anyone would be really nice. i have even tryed using multiple systems to try and install onto this drive but they all get stuck here.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast