Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install backtrack 3 final from the shell

Hybrid View

Developer

Default How to install backtrack 3 final from the shell

This tutorial is going to assume a few things....

1. You have at least 2 neurons in your brain and that there is not to much tar build up between them from smoking tweed.

2. Your already partitioned and ready to go. (If you need a tutorial on partitioning I cant help you)

3. You have heard of a shell and know how to get one going.

Alright so lets begin. I'm going to cover installing backtrack to harddrive to ways. #1 with a /boot partition and #2 where bt is all on one partition. (just a side note. The team is trying to shy away from HD installs and is encouraging USB install which in my humble opinion is the best way to go).Most of this info is from various sources on the wiki and I will attempt to put it into one tutorial for newer members.
    So you have a fresh HD with 3 partitions..
    sda1=/boot
    sda2=swap
    sda3= /

Boot your live cd and open a bash shell and begin.

If your swap is not yet made then do this..(otherwise omit this step)
    bt~#mkswap /dev/sda2
    bt~#swapon /dev/sda2

bt~#mkdir /mnt/backtrack
    bt~#mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/backtrack/
    bt~#mkdir /mnt/backtrack/boot/
    bt~#mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/backtrack/boot/ (note: If you only have one partiton to install backtrack to simply omit this step)
    bt~#cp --preserve -R /{bin,dev,home,pentest,root,usr,etc,lib,opt,sbin,va r} /mnt/backtrack/ <<< note: there is no space in var. Seems to be a glitch in the matrix
    bt~#mkdir /mnt/backtrack/{mnt,proc,sys,tmp}
    bt~#mount --bind /dev/ /mnt/backtrack/dev/
    bt~#mount -t proc proc /mnt/backtrack/proc/
    bt~#cp /boot/vmlinuz /mnt/backtrack/boot/

Now for lilo.
    bt~#chroot /mnt/backtrack/ /bin/bash
    bt~#nano /etc/lilo.conf

Now I like to delete all the bulls**t in the lilo config file so here is what mine would look like. (remember to set your own VGA accordingly )

lba32
    boot=/dev/sda
    prompt
    timeout=60
    change-rules
    reset
    vga=791
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/sda3
    label = backtrack3_final

Excellent. Save that and then execute lilo (I like to use the verbose flag)
    bt~#lilo -v

after that exit your chroot enviorment
    bt/~exit

and reboot and cross your fingers

bt~#reboot

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    This tutorial is going to assume a few things....

1. You have at least 2 neurons in your brain
    This is the most important requirement for those that depend heavily on point/click installations btw ...time will tell how many n00bs heed this

Excellent tutorial btw
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Just burned his ISO

Thanks! It's working perfectly

Default And here's a working grub.conf file to consolidate posts

title Backtrack 3 KDE
    rootnoverify (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=791 root=/dev/sda3 ro autoexec=xconf;kdm
    boot

title Backtrack 3
    rootnoverify (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=791 root=/dev/sda3 ro
    boot

REMEMBER: hd0,2 would be for partition 3 NOT 2. Change accordingly!
    ================================================== ===
    Dr. Walter - Depraved linguist, Benevolent troublemaker extraordinaire
    ================================================== ===

I agree w/encouraging a usb boot, but I'm sure there are reasons to want it on a hard drive... if only to have a place to play around

Replaced BT3b with BT3 Final using the above procedure, works like a champ.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Quote Originally Posted by punkrokk View Post
    I agree w/encouraging a usb boot, but I'm sure there are reasons to want it on a hard drive... if only to have a place to play around
    A hard drive installation would be good for people who rely on their flashdrives alot. Thats a lot of data being written to the flashdrive, and they only have a limited number of write cycles. I've already killed a flashdrive that way, and if someone uses it to store/transfer important files, you wouldnt want to have the chance that they might just dissapear anytime soon.

Also, what are the minimum/recommended sizes for the partitions?
    Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them, because they change things.

Just burned his ISO

Hello guys,

If you all have notice, backtrack 3 final didn't come with the option to install OS to hard disk. But there is an easy way around that. Now, if you have the backtrack 2 or 3 beta version. Goto /usr/share/slax/ and copy BT3.kmdr or slax-install.kmdr. Use can now use that file to install backtrack 3 final to your hard disk. If you have anymore problems let me know.

Muts, and all you guys at Remote-Exploit... I am so sorry for letting this out of the bag. But I wanted to help the newbies out. Because someone helped me once before.

Ghostface

Quote Originally Posted by ghostface View Post
    Hello guys,

If you all have notice, backtrack 3 final didn't come with the option to install OS to hard disk. But there is an easy way around that. Now, if you have the backtrack 2 or 3 beta version. Goto /usr/share/slax/ and copy BT3.kmdr or slax-install.kmdr. Use can now use that file to install backtrack 3 final to your hard disk. If you have anymore problems let me know.

Muts, and all you guys at Remote-Exploit... I am so sorry for letting this out of the bag. But I wanted to help the newbies out. Because someone helped me once before.

Ghostface
    I was thinking of wrapping that up into an lzm

Good friend of the forums

Quote Originally Posted by ghostface View Post
    Hello guys,

Ghostface
    I am trying to do a real install of BT3 Final to my external usb hard drive. I tried your instructions and they look like they work but they don't. Several files are missing /var/log/* and /etc/* to name a few. /var/log/packages and /etc/hostname specifically among others. I used the BT3.kmdr from my working BT3 beta.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast