Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: howto for monitor and determinate position FM frequency

Just burned his ISO

Default howto for monitor and determinate position FM frequency

hi,
    i'm new in bt2 and i have looked that with it it's possible to everything!
    my question if it's possible to monitor(with a det. hardware) and localise where someone with a radio is (who has output data) ?
    for example police with their radio?

sorry for bad english but i hope u understand me!

(i have just searched google but nothing)
    thanks

Not that i know of. Wireless/ Blue tooth frequencies are totally different to any of your police radios. Unfortunately BT does not support hardware for such a task! You would need a radio scanner.
    I have been working on a project myself trying to 'approx' localize a wireless client on a wireless network.. Maybe if your police man is watching Youtube outside your local mc donalds on the wireless you could predict his location.

Quote Originally Posted by lynx2bug0 View Post
    hi,
    i'm new in bt2 and i have looked that with it it's possible to everything!
    my question if it's possible to monitor(with a det. hardware) and localise where someone with a radio is (who has output data) ?
    for example police with their radio?

sorry for bad english but i hope u understand me!

(i have just searched google but nothing)
    thanks
    No, BackTrack is not designed for any radio work other than 802.11 or Bluetooth. For the type of locating you are referring to, requires a minimum of a Radio Frequency Signal Strength meter, and a directional antenna.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    No, BackTrack is not designed for any radio work other than 802.11 or Bluetooth. For the type of locating you are referring to, requires a minimum of a Radio Frequency Signal Strength meter, and a directional antenna.
    For better results(triangulation), you'll need several of the above mentioned setups.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

If you want to know where the police are, buy yourself a police scanner and listen to it.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    If you want to know where the police are, buy yourself a police scanner and listen to it.
    Excellent method indeed.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quite fun sometimes too.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Quite fun sometimes too.
    Yeah, but when you hear them dispatched to a shooting, it's best that you don't beat them to the scene, as sometimes the shooting is still happening.

(Good friend has a close call)
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Yeah, but when you hear them dispatched to a shooting, it's best that you don't beat them to the scene, as sometimes the shooting is still happening.

(Good friend has a close call)
    My wife used to listen to a scanner when I was on duty. Then one day, I responded to a shooting. Just as I arrived on the scene, a whole bunch of shots rang out, I was pinned down for a couple of minutes, and yelling for backup.

It all ended safely enough, but she never listened to a scanner again.

For what its worth, cops HATE people who listen to scanners and go to the scene to watch the action. All they do is cause more confusion and congestion. They all ought to be slapped silly.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    My wife used to listen to a scanner when I was on duty. Then one day, I responded to a shooting. Just as I arrived on the scene, a whole bunch of shots rang out, I was pinned down for a couple of minutes, and yelling for backup.

It all ended safely enough, but she never listened to a scanner again.

For what its worth, cops HATE people who listen to scanners and go to the scene to watch the action. All they do is cause more confusion and congestion. They all ought to be slapped silly.
    You know, I never would have thought to do that. It just sounds like a bad idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast