Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alfa AWUS036H 500mW question

Just burned his ISO

Default Alfa AWUS036H 500mW question

I know this adapter is very popular with backtrack , (rtl8187) and I have atheros in my
    laptop which only works with windows perfectly ,cant get it to works with this.
    I have ubuntu, backtrack 3 and windows xp a triple boot and I can say something
    is wrong with this usb adapter on both ubuntu and backtrack, it works for a while
    and then just stops and you have to keep unplugging it and back and forth it doesnt
    work good , also in backtrack wireless assistant it doesnt recongnize my network
    as wpa it says wep , what the hell is going on with this adapter , it is terrible. Is
    there any programs or commands to make this function better, the power in iwconfig
    says its at 27 dbm any way to change that ,anyways I just want to surf fast on the web with this card and enjoy the linux experience , thanks.

I am no expert on the subject, but it could be a problem with the card itself. A couple of months ago my dog chewed up my wireless card. I ordered a new one (AWUS036H/rtl8187) and was having the same problems you described. The card worked fine in windoze but lost funcionality every few minutes in bt3. I sent it back, and got a different one. The one I recieved as a replacement works great.
    When hungry, eat your rice; when tired, close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean. -- Lin-Chi
    - - - - - - - -
    I slept once, it was a Tuesday.

That adapter was probably the best buy I made. It is a great card and functions perfectly for me with bt's and windows. The range is amazing and the speed above exceptional. Many tools in bt are also supported.
    Any other remote exploiter will agree and it is far from a terrible card.

Quote Originally Posted by SBerry View Post
    That adapter was probably the best buy I made. It is a great card and functions perfectly for me with bt's and windows. The range is amazing and the speed above exceptional. Many tools in bt are also supported.
    Any other remote exploiter will agree and it is far from a terrible card.
    I for one wholeheartedly agree
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

The range is the same as with my dbi antenna as is with the 9dbi antenna whats
    up with that? I had a trendnet atheros card for my desktop and that card was amazing
    it worked really fast and injection and monitor mode was perfect and the range, its
    too bad I cant use it for my laptop.

The range is the same as with my dbi antenna as is with the 9dbi antenna whats
    up with that?
    I have heard this same statement before. Just build yourself a parabolic or corner reflector using one of the templates on www.freeantennas.com. I have personally tried out these with the 2.5dbi antenna on the Alfa card and they seriously improve the already impressive range.

I confirm that range doesn't change. I have the default 2dbi omni antenna that came with the Alfa card and I recently got a 9 dbi omni antenna. Both antennas show about the same number of wireless access points in airodump and about the same power levels.

Good friend of the forums

first use the search but I would try upgradeing madwifi and the assistant I could never get to work with wpa or wep..

Quote Originally Posted by operat0r View Post
    first use the search but I would try upgradeing madwifi and the assistant I could never get to work with wpa or wep..
    Neither madwifi or the wireless assistant has anything to do with the subject of this thread.

Good friend of the forums

wrong card SORRY

rmmod r8187
    modprobe r8187

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast