Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FYI - Backtrack 3 Final

Just burned his ISO

Fload once you figure it out or get the info can you please post to this thread. I would also like to do a real install of BT3 final on an SDHC card for my EEEPC. I had the same kernel panic with BT3 beta on an SDHC so I've just been running it live for now. Notice the power off actually works without patching now though

Default eeepc ssd install

yes an SDHC real install would be nice to have... sans the kernel panic, butfor BT3b, i just did the full install to the ssd, the did (i believe it was purehates') slapt-get fix, updated/upgraded all the packages and the issued a "slapt-get --clean --remove-obsolete" command, still a decent amount of space on the ssd after updating fastrack, autoscan, etc... space wasn't exactly a big problem, you can see what i mean by "df"ing before the updates and again after. hope this helps someone
    open source = open minds, human knowledge belongs to the world

Quote Originally Posted by crweedon View Post
    yes an SDHC real install would be nice to have... sans the kernel panic, butfor BT3b, i just did the full install to the ssd, the did (i believe it was purehates') slapt-get fix, updated/upgraded all the packages and the issued a "slapt-get --clean --remove-obsolete" command, still a decent amount of space on the ssd after updating fastrack, autoscan, etc... space wasn't exactly a big problem, you can see what i mean by "df"ing before the updates and again after. hope this helps someone
    yea my last install i just moved half of the root directory to the sdhc but still booting off ssd, however i now have winxp on it and would like to have both available.. Ill mess with it monday or tuesday and see if its possible now..

Just burned his ISO

I got the install to a SDHC working.

Basically you do the exact same thing as installing to the internal harddrive, except you change every reference to the SDHC (was /dev/sda1 on mine, yours might be different) instead of pointing to the internal drive.

To fix the Kernel Panic, you make lilo.conf as follows

Code:
    lba32
    boot=/dev/sda
    prompt
    timeout=60
    change-rules
    reset
    compact

image=/boot/vmlinuz
    root=/dev/sda1
    label=Backtrack3
    append="rootdelay=10"
    Few changes to the original tutorial, the obvious ones pointing to /dev/sda instead of to the internal hard-drive being the most important one.

The last line (append=...) makes sure you give the kernel time to properly recognize the card in the slot. The 'compact' line fixes the otherwise extreme slow loading.

Worked for me. I didnt add a vga= line, since I prefer to boot in 80x25 but thats entirely up to yourselves. vga=773 might not work, due to your Asus Eee not supporting 1024x768 afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by muts View Post
    A few additional updates on the BT3 Release:

• Installer - We didn't include one, stop whining.
    • Snort - Auto installs, has snortsam patches, can act as an IDS.
    • Karma-msf scripts - evilap.sh
    • Compiz in USB release.
    • Kernel sources in USB release or www.offensive-security.com/kernel.lzm
    • Orinoco drivers excluded
    • Broadcom cards inject well now!
    • Several featured tools by SV - spoonwep, ezpwn, etc.
    • VMware Edition installed originally on VMware Server 1.0.6 - VMWare tools installed.
    • more updates to come...
    *gasps* should dl it then..
    Aquillar> hey, you guys ever play kmem russian roulette?
    Agnostos> I don't believe I have. care to explain the details?
    Aquillar> dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/kmem bs=1 count=1 seek=$RANDOM
    Aquillar> keep executing until system crashes
    Aquillar> person that crashes system has to buy beer
    Agnostos> lol
    Agnostos> I wonder if I can sneak that into a server startup script here.

Just burned his ISO

Broadcom cards inject well now!
    Nice, I'm just downloading it. (Ißve got a Broadcom in my Laptop...)

Hmm... That's strange, i cant get my bcm4311 to work, i could not find even unencrypted networks... What should i do??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12