Thread: Alsa in BT3 Final

Just burned his ISO

Default Alsa in BT3 Final

I do not know if this would be possible, but could you include the latest ALSA sound drivers in BT3(1.0.16rc1 I think) and the newest ALSA-base, etc.? It probably wouldn't be that much trouble, and it would save alot of sound trouble for anyone with a newer laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by rofler View Post
    I do not know if this would be possible, but could you include the latest ALSA sound drivers in BT3(1.0.16rc1 I think) and the newest ALSA-base, etc.? It probably wouldn't be that much trouble, and it would save alot of sound trouble for anyone with a newer laptop.
    Its easy to just download them and install them yourself.

Although if you do not have sound, sometimes installing the latest ALSA drivers doesn't do anything. For instance, my sound card (hda-intel, ATI Technologies Inc SB450 HDA Audio [rev 01]) doesn't work in Back|Track 1/2/3 but it works on Ubuntu 7.10. The problem lays with the kernel and I do not think B|T3_Final is going to have a replacement kernel because of madwifi issues with other kernels [I think].

It would be nice though

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Denv View Post
    The problem lays with the kernel and I do not think B|T3_Final is going to have a replacement kernel because of madwifi issues with other kernels [I think].
    It would be nice though
    That and (call me crazy here) it might not be a high priority to have sound drivers in a pen-testing distro.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

That and (call me crazy here) it might not be a high priority to have sound drivers in a pen-testing distro.
    Maby he really wants to be able to hear those passwords crack
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Maby he really wants to be able to hear those passwords crack
    ...Or maybe he wants sound because he wants to be alerted of network intruders or for kismet alerts. Possibly even to listen to sound files that have audio content in them, or to communicate to someone, or to use as a microphone. Maybe he needs to run some voice analyzing or comparison software, maybe he needs to use 'CarWhisper' which is a program within Back|Track, many programs need sound.

...Many people would 'pimp' Back|Track to its full potential and even have multiple CCTV's connected to a laptop/computer that runs Back|Track. After all it is the best security OS.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Like I said call me crazy, The_Denv Not trying to start anything about the matter but rather as I stated earlier it may not be a high priority for the Dev's then again I could be wrong.

Not to mention that most apps that have sound (i.e. Kismet) as part of their features are not really needed as much as the are ear candy. Kismet log's everything that the sounds will give you. So if one is out on a pen-test (read war-driving) then information will be available latter on in the logs. So again in this case the sounds are not needed in as much as the are just a little bit of candy.

And yes I know everyone likes candy.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Well, be realistic. I just want sound from my computer. That's not really a priority, I understand, but changing Alsa 10.0.15rc1 to Alsa 10.0.16rc1 would be nice, and it wouldn't affect anything else in the system. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Like I said call me crazy, The_Denv Not trying to start anything about the matter but rather as I stated earlier it may not be a high priority for the Dev's then again I could be wrong.

Not to mention that most apps that have sound (i.e. Kismet) as part of their features are not really needed as much as the are ear candy. Kismet log's everything that the sounds will give you. So if one is out on a pen-test (read war-driving) then information will be available latter on in the logs. So again in this case the sounds are not needed in as much as the are just a little bit of candy.

And yes I know everyone likes candy.
    Hey crazy.archangel.amael,
    Since when have I ever started anything ? No worries, but heh man I didn't intend for my reply to be aggressive. Sorry if you found it that way ... amael, I don't think I would start anything with yourself, the internet can seriously make people misinterpret. amael...I thought you would have known I am not an aggressive person by now , hope this hasn't changed your mind lol.

I think sound is candy, but it does slow me down as I can not pentest anything that involves sound (E.g: CarWhisper), nor can I experiment with piping raw sound with socat. It is annoying and I guess I know how the OP feels. I also know that the dev's will not include the new alsa drivers due to the whole 'kernel replacement' issue; archangel.amael is right...Can't see it happening.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I am a hippy! (We are not aggressive)

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by The_Denv View Post
    I also know that the dev's will not include the new alsa drivers due to the whole 'kernel replacement' issue; archangel.amael is right...Can't see it happening.
    So does the new alsa modules require the newest kernal?