Thread: Bt3 Usb Boot Error

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Bt3 Usb Boot Error

Hello, any help would be appreciated as I am driving myself up the wall with this... ok here is the scenario:

Installing BT3 (Extended USB) on a 4GB USB KEY:

USB boot info:

USB BOOT: Enabled
    USB BOOT STATUS: Working
    USB BOOT ERROR: "BOOT ERROR"

Procedures Followed:

Follow'd directions using bootinst.bat & bootinst.sh - failed

Follow'd directions for BT2 using the installer in BT3. - failed

Partion Variations i have tried:

1a) 1GB FAT32* - 2b) 2.73GB FAT32

2a) 1GB FAT32* - 2b) 512M Linux Swap(82) - 2c) 2.2GB ext2

3a) 3.73GB Fat32*

4a) 256M FAT32* 4b) 512M Linux Swap(82) 4c) 2.9GB ext2
    NOTE: * Indicates Bootable

NOTE: I received this EXACT SAME error with BT2 when trying to install to a 1GB USB Key. I managed to get it working by following the Backtrack-hd-install.pdf then copying the BT directory to the drive manually as the installer did not do this. This worked fine. however when using the BT3 installer it doesnt seem to work. (the only difference i can think of right now is: 1) the size of usb 1GB/4GB 2) Different Filesystems ext2/ext3 (backtrack-hd-install.pdf formats to ext3 where as tutorials i have found for BT3 are saying ext2...I dunno any ideas?

I have also changed this line in bootinst.bat as instructed to so do for USB HARDDRIVES (thought i would try it)

:setupNT
    \boot\syslinux\syslinux.exe -ma -f -d \boot\syslinux %DISK%:
    goto setupDone

:setup95
    \boot\syslinux\syslinux.com -ma -f -d \boot\syslinux %DISK%:

NOTE: yellow indicates change

I have been using the USB Extended version of BT3 would it make a difference if try using the CD version?

I hope I have provided enough information and hopefully someone can help!

-Justam

Just burned his ISO

Hi!
    Im also have tried alot of things. But still cant boot on my usb stick. I have tried on 3 computers. And now Im testing on another usb stick. Im also looking forward on our solution.

I have a question on my usb stick the only bootable partion is 1a should I make all the partions bootable?

/Micke

Just burned his ISO

I have a pretty decent knowledge of computer technology and I am pretty sure you don't want more than 1 boot partition. I have been searching around and found a thread on the forums pointing to another installer.

BT3USBCREATOR
    alpha 2.1
    forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8836&page=3

##I tried posting the direct link here but it states I need 15 posts or more before I can link to 'other' sites...##

I have yet to try this, will be doing it in the next few hours will report back with results.

-Justam

Just burned his ISO

I solved my problem. Burned the BT cd and boot from there and made my usb bootable from it.

But used the "SH" command at the shell before continue the guide for makeing the usb bootable.

Just burned his ISO

Ok thats good you got it working! I'll give it a go!

--I actually have yet to try the installer......

---Will try the 'sh' command first though......

-Justam

Just burned his ISO

Hello,

I am new to these forums but I've also been facing a problem about my BT3 USB installation not booting.

I downloaded the BT3 archive and verified the md5 hash. Then I followed the instructions (for the windows installation they were slightly different, but I was able to find them using google), and so I did everything according to those instructions. When booting from the USB I get this error:

SYSLINUX 3.36 2007-02-10 CBIOS copyright (C) 1994-2007 H Peter Anvin
    Could not find kernel image:linux
    boot: _

The PC sits there doing nothing. I've also noticed that other users have been having this issue. So, do you have any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks

Just burned his ISO

Just so that other people viewing this will know, in order to solve the problem that I described above, you need to format your USB thumb drive to FAT and not FAT32. I couldn't do this because my USB stick was quite big, and windows wouldn't have this option anywhere. Plus it's was tough to find a partitioning utility that handles USB drives (the disk management from windows couldn't do ANYTHING to my USB!). Using paragon partition manager, I was able to cut off a 1GB partition, format it to FAT16, and from there everything worked just fine.

This also applies to Backtrack 3 + BETA, both the problem and the solution.

Weird, I've not had any problems with fat32 formatted usb drives.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Lightbulb FAT issue with syslinux

It may be an issue with syslinux; I believe I've seen it mentioned on pendrivelinux.com that older version of syslinux need FAT(16) rather than FAT32.

Lacoste