Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banks slip through virus loophole

Just burned his ISO

Default Banks slip through virus loophole

Hey

Thought this may be of interest. A nicely written article, obviously there are many issues involved here.

xxxx.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jun/12/hitechcrime.law

Personal opinion they should not have been allowed to slip this through, there are far to many grey areas. They have enough personal info as it is, never mind them wanting our pc's as well.

It seems very reasonable to me, and it is hardly a "loophole." This type of action kicks in only in regards to online transactions, and only if the fraud is the result of the real user's information being used and was obtained via the user's PC.

A real world analogy is that of insurance companie refusing to pay for a vehicle theft claim if the victim leaves the keys in the car's ignition lock, and the doors unlocked. In the same way, it requires the user of the service (banking or insurance) to be slightly proactive in regards to the assets (online account or car) being covered. In other words, "We don't pay for the victim being a damned fool."
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Linkified for the lazy (like me):
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...itechcrime.law
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    It seems very reasonable to me, and it is hardly a "loophole." This type of action kicks in only in regards to online transactions, and only if the fraud is the result of the real user's information being used and was obtained via the user's PC.

A real world analogy is that of insurance companie refusing to pay for a vehicle theft claim if the victim leaves the keys in the car's ignition lock, and the doors unlocked. In the same way, it requires the user of the service (banking or insurance) to be slightly proactive in regards to the assets (online account or car) being covered. In other words, "We don't pay for the victim being a damned fool."
    While I can see the value of the analogy you provided, it seems to me that the new codes being formed by the banks are way too ambiguous and leave a lot of room for subjective interpretation.

"Oh, you're using AVG? Well, we don't agree fully with their anti-virus coverage so, better luck next time...."

or

"Sir, we need your PC to verify that you've enacted the correct level of precautionary defenses." "But I have pictures of my wife and I performing the Bionic Seehorse on there!" "Well we'll be sure not to make copies of them for ourselves sir......"

I don't think that banks have the right to be ambiguous about whether or not they are going to cover your losses due to online-fraud, identity-theft, etc. Especially when it comes to physically commandeering your PC to make their own evaluations....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    While I can see the value of the analogy you provided, it seems to me that the new codes being formed by the banks are way too ambiguous and leave a lot of room for subjective interpretation.

"Oh, you're using AVG? Well, we don't agree fully with their anti-virus coverage so, better luck next time...."

or

"Sir, we need your PC to verify that you've enacted the correct level of precautionary defenses." "But I have pictures of my wife and I performing the Bionic Seehorse on there!" "Well we'll be sure not to make copies of them for ourselves sir......"

I don't think that banks have the right to be ambiguous about whether or not they are going to cover your losses due to online-fraud, identity-theft, etc....
    Would you rather they dictate a given AV solution? Especially a brand/product that you do not like, trust, or want on your PC? (It's a rhetorical question. Just food for thought.)

The simple solution is, of course, not to use online banking if someone is that concerned about the bank not covering losses. Online banking (at least at most banks I've seen) is an opt-in process.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Would you rather they dictate a given AV solution? Especially a brand/product that you do not like, trust, or want on your PC? (It's a rhetorical question. Just food for thought.)

The simple solution is, of course, not to use online banking if someone is that concerned about the bank not covering losses. Online banking (at least at most banks I've seen) is an opt-in process.
    And I, sir, agree with you fully. I was simply providing fodder for discussion. I refuse to rely on online banking of any form, there are just too many what-ifs.

It is interesting to note, however, just how far some banks (see New Zealand) will go to provide themselves outs for online fraud cases.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

I use Blackthorn National Bank, but my money keeps disappearing.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

That's crap. I don't have any antivirus software on my main computer, and it's firewall is usually turned off! I haven't found a decent av software for mac that doesn't make it slower than a 286. I used to run clamav, which wasn't too bad, but it won't disinfect files, it just deletes them. Now if I'm out and about with my mac, the firewall gets turned on, but not at home.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    I use Blackthorn National Bank, but my money keeps disappearing.
    Hehehe, pr0n is expensive these days prez, cmon now!

~ShadowKill

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    That's crap. I don't have any antivirus software on my main computer, and it's firewall is usually turned off! I haven't found a decent av software for mac that doesn't make it slower than a 286. I used to run clamav, which wasn't too bad, but it won't disinfect files, it just deletes them. Now if I'm out and about with my mac, the firewall gets turned on, but not at home.
    Well then you should definitely not move to the UK...or New Zealand....or anywhere....

You would, according to their new codes, be SOL.....

~ShadowKill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast