Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To really pentest, do I have to learn Perl or...

Default To really pentest, do I have to learn Perl or...

I've read that to really be able to pentest, one must know a programming language, such as Perl. Is that the fact. I understand that I can use programs such as Metasploit, autopwn, etc. But I mean for anything beyond that. If yes, which language is best to try to learn. Best as in easier to learn, more useful, etc.

html, javascript, php, sql, perl, python, c/c++, asm, besides, programming for windows like winapi etc, and other many many things. Tools written by others you can use just for learning how to write your own tools.

Ruby would be a very good idea too.

Whoa, that's quite a list. Let's see. I know a bit of html, spq, php, and a drop of c/c++. Where do I start if I ever want to end.

Quote Originally Posted by bluster View Post
    html, javascript, php, sql, perl, python, c/c++, asm, besides, programming for windows like winapi etc, and other many many things. Tools written by others you can use just for learning how to write your own tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    Ruby would be a very good idea too.

End? What's that? Hacking is an ever advancing, polymorphic talent that requires continuously learning new/updated technologies, not excluding in the least programming laguages, of any nature. The more you understand the finite details of something, the better prepared you will be to break them apart and find "the good stuff".

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Shadowkill, I know you're right. It never ends. But what I want to know is, being these are all kind of prereqs for hacking, how much and what are prereqs, and what can I consider 'postreqs'.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    End? What's that? Hacking is an ever advancing, polymorphic talent that requires continuously learning new/updated technologies, not excluding in the least programming laguages, of any nature. The more you understand the finite details of something, the better prepared you will be to break them apart and find "the good stuff".

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abitaz View Post
    Shadowkill, I know you're right. It never ends. But what I want to know is, being these are all kind of prereqs for hacking, how much and what are prereqs, and what can I consider 'postreqs'.
    Bro there really is no prerequisite to be a "hacker" per se however as shadowkill stated the more you know the better off you will be. It is up to the individual to learn as much as they can. There are many areas to "hacking" some people want to hack webservers others concentrate on databases still others on VoIP it is what you want to learn and what you want to discover.
    As for languages pick one of the easier ones and then master it and move on to something else that suits your fancy at the moment. You do not have to be a master at all of them but rather you should be familiar with them and how they work at the minimum.
    Also have a look at this:
    http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Developer

I agree with archangel.amael, picking a specific area to focus on is your best bet. It narrows down the playing field to a more manageable level. I do not know a lot of languages either and started out much where you are. Here is the path I have taken. I took a lot of VB in college which although is not really a useful "hacking" language it does give a basic foundation and is fairly easy IMHO. What I decided to focus on is bash. It is not the most powerful however bash to me is very useful and almost anything can be scripted. Next on my list is python. I know a drop of C which is nowhere near enough to write code but just enough to edit exploits and such to fix errors to get exploits to suit my needs. That my 2 cents for whatever its worth

archangel.amael and Pureh@te hit it on the head, concentrating on a "gateway" language will be your best bet. I'd, personally, start with C/C++. This will give you a firm grasp on object oriented design methodologies, as well as building up your logic skills. It's a fairly low level language, not even close to asm but that's a different story, and it will allow you to play with memory, pointers, etc etc etc.

Once you have a firm grasp C++ side, I recommend, depending on your goals of course, to learn Perl. If I have anything to say about any laguage period, it's that perl is a hackers godsend in terms of portability and diversity. With perl, what might take you 60 lines of code in C++ would take only 1. One of, if not the, best scripting laguage you could ever learn, and used widely in todays exploit community.

After that, you could go anywhere really; Ruby, python, bash (highly recommend this), cobalt, asm, *html, *ml.....the list goes on and on.

Hope that helped

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

I would agree with the others. C++ and perl would be the two I would start with. There is not a whole lot ( at the intermediate level ) that you wont be able to accomplish with these two languages. But before all that I think having a solid grasp of networking is more important than knowing a programming language.
    There's no fate but what we make for ourselves.

-I already know I cant spel-

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast