Thread: BT3 with 3D desktop?

Default BT3 with 3D desktop?

I did a search on this without results. Am not sure if it was mentioned here or not, but basically, am looking forward to have a 3D Desktop within BT3, just like what Mandriva has with their Mandriva Live linux?

here is a link w3.mandriva.com/en/product/mandriva-flash-2008-spring

Any one got this working or knows of a How-to or tutorial?

Quote Originally Posted by BTuser3 View Post
    I did a search on this without results. Am not sure if it was mentioned here or not, but basically, am looking forward to have a 3D Desktop within BT3, just like what Mandriva has with their Mandriva Live linux?

Uhh, yea, search for compiz.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Have a look at Compiz :
    http://backtrack.offensive-security....php/HCL:Compiz

Wink Compiz!

Ah so its the Compiz option after all!

hmmm, bad news for me: I have a dell laptop with that ATI Radeon card, which is not supported by Compiz as far as I remember. I hope the forum has people with ATI cards working with Compiz. Mine boots but X does not start. just just stays with a beautiful black screen.

I will do some searching on this forum not to be lazy, but if anyone figured on how to do it with ATI cards, please let me know (am guessing it has to do with changes with the Xorg.conf or X11 files)

Nice, I found many threads specifically for Compiz in general and Compiz with ATI in specific.

Time to Read. Thanks guys.

EDIT: I dont see the Compiz option with the iso for the USB key version... Is that normal?

Am using this: bt3b141207.iso

Nice, I found many threads specifically for Compiz in general and Compiz with ATI in specific.

Time to Read. Thanks guys.

EDIT: I dont see the Compiz option with the iso for the USB key version... Is that normal?

Am using this: bt3b141207.iso
    That's the one with compiz, the cd iso doesn't have it.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    That's the one with compiz, the cd iso doesn't have it.
    huh, did not know that, any reason why?

I remember downloading two versions, the one that had btxxxxx.rar, which after extracting it, and threw it on a USB key, it had the Compiz option.

Are not the two supposed to have the Compiz option? I guess they assumed if you boot from the CD, you have less space for packages, and also you dont have as much control as if you install BT3 on your hard drive, therefore the compiz and many other packages were taken off....

huh, did not know that, any reason why?

I remember downloading two versions, the one that had btxxxxx.rar, which after extracting it, and threw it on a USB key, it had the Compiz option.

Are not the two supposed to have the Compiz option? I guess they assumed if you boot from the CD, you have less space for packages, and also you dont have as much control as if you install BT3 on your hard drive, therefore the compiz and many other packages were taken off....
    Not enough room on a cd.