Thread: bt4 iso on vmware but wireless card doesnt show up?

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Question bt4 iso on vmware but wireless card doesnt show up?

so before i have run bt3 on a live cd and runs fine i just insert it in my laptop and done works fine
    now im using wmware and bt 4 iso cause it seen this is the only way i can get it to work but now i dont see
    my wireless card... im not sure why i follow the following instruction:
    YouTube - Run Backtrack 4 Beta in Windows with VmWare Workstation

can i get any help on this please..
    does it matter which vmware im using???

Default Re: bt4 iso on vmware but wireless card doesnt show up?

Is it a USB wireless card? These are the only ones that will work within a virtual machine.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Is it a USB wireless card? These are the only ones that will work within a virtual machine.
    mmm no i was trying to use the the wireless card that comes with the laptop which is integrated.
    which do you think is better to use the bt4 iso or the vmware that has the bt4 ?
    or a usb with the bt 4 inside?
    also how come i was able to use the bt3 on a live cd on my laptop directly it work fine but when i use the bt4 that i donwload it and place it on a dvd as a live dvd it wont work??

Quote Originally Posted by christian666 View Post
    mmm no i was trying to use the the wireless card that comes with the laptop which is integrated.
    Well that won't work in a virtual machine.

which do you think is better to use the bt4 iso or the vmware that has the bt4 ?
    or a usb with the bt 4 inside?
    They each have benefits and drawbacks which have been documented elsewhere. Use whatever you like best given your requirements. You wont be able to use an in built wireless card with a VM though.

also how come i was able to use the bt3 on a live cd on my laptop directly it work fine but when i use the bt4 that i donwload it and place it on a dvd as a live dvd it wont work??
    Without a lot more detail (including what you mean by "wont work") I couldn't tell you. Why dont you concentrate on getting BT4 to work instead. Determine the symptoms of the problems you are having with BT4 (e.g. specific error messages) and search for information that might help resolve the problem.

Hopefully I have made the answer to the question of why your wireless card doesnt work clear enough. If you want to use wireless tools in BT4 you now just need to concentrate on the issue thats stopping USB Boot or DVD copy of BackTrack 4 versions from working on your system.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned their ISO

thank you for your help
    i will work on my bt4 problems problably i will make a video and post it so ppl can see what im doing corrrectly and incorrectly and advise me on the proper proccedure to take.
    Kudos for your on your part for helping me out on my sitution

one more thing:
    can i use a usb with bt4 and keep saving information like it was a normal OS?? in order i can allways come back to it ? and if so
    does bt4 contains any dictionaries that i can use to crack wap??

one more thing:
    can i use a usb with bt4 and keep saving information like it was a normal OS?? in order i can allways come back to it ? and if so
    does bt4 contains any dictionaries that i can use to crack wap??
    Yes, go here and follow any tutorial with "usb" and "persistent" on its name.
    I think there are some wordlists in the pentest directory, but you'll have to find them because I can't remember where.
    Last edited by Snayler; 02-11-2010 at 07:24 PM.