Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legality

Default Legality

Hi i live in the uk

I have a couple of friends that have given me permmision to pentest there systems.

What i would like to know is it legal for me to do this over the internet?

would this breach t&c's of the isp? Mine and theres.

Please all advice would be great

would this breach t&c's of the isp? Mine and theres
    Well without knowing who your ISPs are that is rather hard for us to know, don't you think? Easiest way to figure this out is probably to actually check what the terms and conditions that you have agreed to follow are.

A good guess though is yes, at least to some degree.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

cheers dude.
    i dont know my isp at the mo as i share next doors connection.
    legally and with there persmmision of course. will have to check with them later tonight. i just didnt want to break the law. or cause problems for my friends.

Do a check-up on your own IP, the external one provided by for example www.ipchicken.com, with for example dmitry. Just make sure you stop the program before the actual portscan is started to be on the safe side of not breaking any of the T&Q’s. Dmitry will give you the name of the ISP that the ip-range belongs to.

cheers once again

just checked my isp. its BT.

There t&c's state that "You must not gain or attempt to gain unauthorised access to any computer systems for any purpose, including accessing the Internet."

so as my access is authorised i shouldn't be breaching.

thank you once again for you help.

"You must not gain or attempt to gain unauthorised access to any computer systems for any purpose, including accessing the Internet."
    There are still a few things that you might want to consider. Even though your friend has given you the permission to try to hack into his computer it is possible that your actions may, and I want to stress the word may here, be considered an attempt to gain unauthorised access by your ISP. The reason for this is that you are effectively trying to break into his computer, not log in the usual way using an account of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by m1cha3l View Post
    cheers dude.
    You're already breaking the ISPs ToU/ToS/AUP.
    http://www.productsandservices.bt.co..._popupid=13408
    http://www2.bt.com/static/i/btretail...acceptableuse/
    legally and with there persmmision of course. will have to check with them later tonight. i just didnt want to break the law. or cause problems for my friends.
    Too late.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

You're already breaking the ISPs ToU/ToS.

Quote:

Too late.
    Breaking the ISPs ToS is not the same as breaking the law, and not all ISPs forbid its clients to share their connection. http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20...fi-connection/

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Breaking the ISPs ToS is not the same as breaking the law, and not all ISPs forbid its clients to share their connection. http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20...fi-connection/
    Agreed, however, ToS/ToU/AUP are intended to be legally binding or they wouldn't exist and the companies wouldn't bother paying lawyers to develop them. Also keep in mind that although BT may allow sharing of connections doing so without the permission/knowledge of the person who pays for said service is probably against policy and in violation of the law. (I don't have time to go looking and IANAL but I suspect that BT's policy may be contrary to law pertaining to transmission/interception etc of the signals in question ... and law will always trump corporate policy).

As my first link above states:
    3. You may choose up to five other users who can receive the BT Total Broadband Anywhere service.
    This only applies to one of their service offerings and isn't completely open for anyone.

Anyway, that's out of scope of the original question. Both of my links above clearly state that you are NOT permitted to use BT's network for the things the OP wants to do. (Whether or not it's your connection/account or your neighbor's).
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

cheers dude.
    I understand that you probably missed this part, however m1cha3l clearly stated that he has the consent of the owner to use his connection. Also, BT not only allows its users to share their connection, they actually want their users to share their connection to gain maximum wireless coverage in the UK.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast