Thread: Installing BT3 on a USB Stick ?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question Installing BT3 on a USB Stick ?

Hi everyone !
    I'm a new comer to the Backtrack, I've just downloaded the new USB version in order to try it, before I could install on my HD. In the downloaded files (bt3b141207.rar), I found two folders (/Boot and /BT3) plus another text file which say that in order to install on a USB device, these two folders must be firstly copied on the USB than to run an application "under Linux" in order to make the USB Stick bootable (MBR). The obstacle what I'm having is that I have no installed Linux in my machine ther's only a Windows XP, could anyone tell me how can I complete this installation on my USB Stick?

Best greetings

Adam

First WTF is with that big bold obnoxious text?

Second checkout the tutorials and guides section as well as the wiki there's lots of information there already about building BT USB keys.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

hey back-track, welcome, im fairly new too, so ill give you a hand because I just put learned how to put BT on my USB about a week ago.

So you have the file downloaded good. Now go to your USB and delete any random files on it already so its blank. Then copy the BT3 and Boot folder to the USB. Now open up Dos, and browse to your USB, if your USB is labeled G on your computer type this into DOS

G:

now you will be in your USB

Type: cd boot
    then type: bootinst.bat

go through the 2 quick steps in DOS, i think all you do is press any button and then your USB is ready to start BackTrack, restart your computer with it plugged in, and while your computers booting up press F12 which will allow you to choose what you want your computer to start up with and choose USB.

Note every computer is different, for my computer I press F12, but your computer it might be different, you can always go in BIOS and just make it so USB is the #1 for the startup.

enjoy

Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

The thread Barry put will do the trick, but if that's still confusing, give this a try:
    first, format the usb stick in fat32, look around for a freeware program that's called usb format tool (might be hp or something like that, Just google it) Its called- HP USBDisk storage format tool- just got home to my box
    open up your window for my computer and double click on your usb whatever drive letter it is then open a window for wherever you have the files saved-- it has to be 2 separate windows, then just drag and drop the boot and then the bt3 files into the window for your usb stick-- now just double click on the boot file in the usb window-- you can close the download window-- when the boot file window pops up look for the bootinst.bat file and double click on it. Run that file and it will tell you that the stick is now bootable and how to close the installer program-- then just close down windows and reboot with the usb at the top of the list of boot devices in your bios. On my comp. I have 2 usb devices and had to put the one that was labeled, usb-hdd at the top.
    Post back here if any trouble

Just burned his ISO

Default BT 3 Install on USB

I have a 8GB USB drive sitting around and I haven't installed BT 3 onto a USB stick yet but was wondering if after you install it you can store wordlists in the root directory for WPA cracking? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by djfx01 View Post
    I have a 8GB USB drive sitting around and I haven't installed BT 3 onto a USB stick yet but was wondering if after you install it you can store wordlists in the root directory for WPA cracking? Thanks in advance.
    Yes, you'll still be able to use the space left for whatever you want.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Arrow Obstacle exceeded !

First thanks everyone for the really fast replies!
    second I tried by chance before I read the posting of Whitecrow and it worked, I did the same what you wrote Whitecrow thank you !

For thorin you don't need to "criticize" my posting from the beginning, becaus it was my first Posting in this Forum and I did it with intent just take more attention from the members !

Just burned his ISO

Thank you.