Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BT3 on USB with persistent changes, using Linux.

Default fsck

Hi there,

Thanks for this. I am still in the middle of creating my BT3 USB stick again to include persistent changes. I got an error when following your instructions to check the file systems.

Code:

fsck -y /dev/sdb1

Should Output:
    Code:

fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
    dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
    /dev/sdb1: 0 files, 1/264543 clusters

But it doesn't. I googled it and tried using dosfsck instead and the output is as you say. Did you mean that?

Hi,

I tried this tutorial and parrot's and I still missing something. I have a 16gb SDHC card. I can installed BT3 and run it from the card but I am trying to setup so it will save all changes.

It goes as far as creating the two partitions and when typing p, it displays the partition information. I did divided the partitions as follow: partition one - 4GB, and partition 2, the rest of the 16GB. Now when I tried to run the following command, mkfs vfat /dev/sdb1 (sdb is my sd card of course). I get something like:

mke2fs 1.39 (29-May-2006)
    mkfs.ext2: invalid blocks count - /dev/sdb1

I also tried running mkfs -t vfat /dev/sdb1, and got the following:
    mkfs.vfat 2.11 (12 Mar 2005)
    /dev/sdb1: No such file or directory

I also tried playing with qtparted but I am not sure how to work it. I tried to google for a tutorial but couldn't find anything concret on how to use it. I tried fiddle with it but nothing substantial to allow me to create the two partitions and format them. So what I am doing wrong?

I think I may had figure out something. I decided to reboot the system and try the mkfs -t vfat /dev/sdb1 command and this time it seems it worked. However, when I tried mkfs -t ext2 /dev/sdb2, didn't. I got the following:

mke2fs 1.39 (29-May-2006)
    /dev/sdb2 is apparently in use by the system; will not make a filesystem here!.

I figured out what I was doing wrong. I needed to umount the partition before running mkesf2 command.

However, it is not saving the changes. Did I miss something? also the device letter keep changing everytime I reboot. One time is sda, another time would be sdb. So how can I make it so it stays the same?, after all on the syslinux.cfg file I indicated that was on changes=\dev\sda2. I believe I read something about this, someone ask the same question but I don't remember where. I'll try searching the forum later on.

I think I figure out about the device name changing, and I did found that other thread where someone ask the same question but details weren't given on how to solve it.

I posted what I found out ont that thread, http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...012#post118012

I still can't figure out why is not saving the changes, I read somewhere about changing the permissions of the changes folder to 777. I'll give a try and see if it helps, otherwise I may tried redoing everything following another tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by algemy View Post
    after all on the syslinux.cfg file I indicated that was on changes=\dev\sda2.
    One problem is that you have your "slashes" wrong. Should read:

Code:
    changes=/dev/sda2  (or sdb2 or whatever partition you are writing changes to)
    Have you created a "changes" folder in that partition? That could also be a problem.

The slashes was a typo on my posting, I couldn't remember which way they go. I did created the changes folder on /mnt/sda2 and even change the permisions to 777 but still not saving the changes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234