Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BT3 on USB with persistent changes, using Linux.

isnt there anyway to get persistant changes to work with 1 fat32 partition? i tried just transfering the files in the iso and making the drive bootable but if the persistant changes option is selected it doesnt save anything. if it is not possible, why even have it as an option? repartioning my flash drive is gonna be a pain in the ass...

Quote Originally Posted by RadarG View Post
    LABEL pchanges
    MENU LABEL BT3 Graphics mode with Persistent Changes
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666
    root=/dev/ram0 rw changes=/dev/sdb2/changes autoexec=xconf;kdm
    Delete that part.

Quote Originally Posted by ats1080 View Post
    isnt there anyway to get persistant changes to work with 1 fat32 partition? i tried just transfering the files in the iso and making the drive bootable but if the persistant changes option is selected it doesnt save anything. if it is not possible, why even have it as an option? repartioning my flash drive is gonna be a pain in the ass...
    Nope, you need a linux file system for the changes. It basically writes out all the directories that change, so it needs a linux based file system to write them to.

Quote Originally Posted by shady View Post
    I followed this guide, and it is not working for me, so I have a few questions.

Is the 1080 mb partition created to hold the changes or the installed BT3 OS?

Is the changes stored on the ext2 partition, and BT3 on the fat32 partition?

Here's the errors I am getting. I have the line changes=/dev/sda2. /dev/sda2 is the empty ext2 partition I created to hold the changes.

img373.imageshack.us/img373/5869/bt3errorze3.png

Everything will work fine if I don't try to use changes. What's going on here?
    Did you create a changes folder on the ext2 formatted partition? Also, how big is the ext2 partition?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

thats a bitch...well thanks for the response. looks like ill be partitioning -_-

Alright scrap all that from before I've had it fixed. I still cant get the save change working though here's what I see:

I made the syslinux.cfg file with changes=/dev/sdb2. But when im booted into bt3 off the usb, I run 'fdisk /dev/sdb' and theres no device for sdb.

Thus I run 'fdisk /dev/sda' and it recognized the device as the one I'd set up the partitions and everything on. So I went into the syslinux.cfg file and made the change from sdb2 to sda2 and rebooted to see if it'd still boot. Upon the boot it gets stuck giving me the error asking me to press ctrl+alt+delete to restart.

I know I'm missing something or doing something wrong, any idea what it could be?

Just burned his ISO

HI Umattu,
    i tested your Tut (yours and PureH@te is the same). But can you tell me why my drivers in /lib/Firmware/zd1211 are after a reboot not there (no persistant Change)

I did all step by step and have no error.

greets
    Kenny

Default SATA / Flash drive conflict

Quote Originally Posted by soul_786 View Post
    Alright scrap all that from before I've had it fixed. I still cant get the save change working though here's what I see:

I made the syslinux.cfg file with changes=/dev/sdb2. But when im booted into bt3 off the usb, I run 'fdisk /dev/sdb' and theres no device for sdb.

Thus I run 'fdisk /dev/sda' and it recognized the device as the one I'd set up the partitions and everything on. So I went into the syslinux.cfg file and made the change from sdb2 to sda2 and rebooted to see if it'd still boot. Upon the boot it gets stuck giving me the error asking me to press ctrl+alt+delete to restart.

I know I'm missing something or doing something wrong, any idea what it could be?
    I had the very same issue, and I narrowed the problem down to this.

If you have a SATA drive and a flash drive, then Backtrack will issue the device name SDA or SDB to either of these devices.

So, if you dictate that SDB1 should contain the changes, but your flash drive was issued the device ID SDA1 then it will crash.

The reverse is true, if your flashdrive is mounted as SDB1 but your changes are supposed to be saved in SDA1 then problems will occur.

Quote Originally Posted by mcai8rw2 View Post
    I had the very same issue, and I narrowed the problem down to this.

If you have a SATA drive and a flash drive, then Backtrack will issue the device name SDA or SDB to either of these devices.

So, if you dictate that SDB1 should contain the changes, but your flash drive was issued the device ID SDA1 then it will crash.

The reverse is true, if your flashdrive is mounted as SDB1 but your changes are supposed to be saved in SDA1 then problems will occur.
    Think about it, both drives are serial, that's what the s in sdX means. When I boot my usb drive on one of my machines it labels it sdd. The first time I boot backtrack on a new machine I don't use the changes menu item. That way I can see what it's going to label the usb device and adjust it accordingly.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Alright that helps me understand more of what's going on but that still leaves me the issue. Should I boot into one of the options without the changes, then see what my drive label is stated as? Such as sda? sdb? or whatever it gives me?

Thing is the eeepc has an SSD with windows on it I don't think that gets recognized or anything like that.

SO i'll try booting into an option without changes, see what is stated and edit my syslinux to have that drive label in the append line?

Sorry if I'm seeming too thick to get all this, still getting used to the filesystem structures and the whole idea of mounting.

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up Great tutorial

Thanks for the Great tutorial.

The pure Linux approach appealed to me and the congregation here at The Church of The Revolution.

Apart from a few glitches with getting my changes file working it worked like a charm. I was up and running in 30 minutes.

I managed to make it more "idiot proof" by booting up my Bt3 cd and using QTPartEd to format everything and it was even more than happy to remove the U3 from my sandisk cruzer.

I do have a couple of questions.

My Bt3 usb sees and uses swap on my Ubuntu box. Can I edit a file to stop this (I gave bt3 1G swap on the stick) as I want to leave zero traces on the hard drive on my laptop?

The other question is can I assign a windows drive letter using Linux? XP has been banned here and Bill lives in my Matrix-like world I made for him in VirtualBox but I have not got him to see the usb ports yet so XP does not see the usb stick.

As it is I am pleased with my new toy.

Thanks in advance for any help with the questions.

Revernd C.

Praise Linux and pass the sauce

Default Success finally ...

This puppy was a bit of a b***h .. 'scuse my french. I followed umattu's original recipe to the letter with my Ubuntu box. Many issues followed including the Ubuntu/Kubuntu penchant for reversing the mounted partitions (???)
    Anyway, i finally copied the BT3 rar to a stick, and then transferred it to the hard drive on
    my pentesting laptop, under Kubuntu. Then i booted to BT3 on a c/d from the laptop and inserted the blank usb stick and fdisk'd according to umattu's recipe. After mounting both the hard drive and usb partitions (and creating the /changes folder under the ext partition ... something that later PROVED to be necessary), I ran the installation script.
    The stick then booted perfectly to both my Presario & Evo laptops. I am very happy to have succeeded with this as BT2 wasn't providing the wireless connectivity that I expect to get under BT3. But none of this would have been possible without this excellent forum, umattu's post and the subsequent posts in the thread from which I learned an enormous amount about the Linux file system! A tip of the hat to everyone who made this possible. I hope to be able to reciprocate in the near future with my own postings regarding the Wi-Fi explorations I have been conducting.
    My only question now is why wasn't (or isn't?) a swap partition needed on the USB stick?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast