Thread: possible to install bt3 to hidden && bootable part?

Just burned his ISO

Default possible to install bt3 to hidden && bootable part?

I would like to install backtrack onto my laptop running xppro, but I would like it to be able to be hidden to typical disk tools && even encrypted if possible (if it wouldn't slow things down much),, most importantly though would like to be able to have windows boot normally && option to boot into linux using a key-combo && 'transparent' bootloader. does lilo or grub support this type of configuration?

maybe it could go from bios screen to a splash screen, which could be same a stock xppro bootsplash, && give extra second to input keycombo else goto xp as default in normal fashion,, in this way the change from bootloader to xp bootsplash would be almost seamless looking?- if combo input of course boot into bt3.

anyone have any ideas how to do this optimally? I have fresh hd with xppro just installed, resized hd for additional partition but unsure how to proceed from here,, I would appreciate any advice! thankx in advance, j

If you want to encrypt the partition that BT runs of I would suggest that you check out Truecrypt. It is open source software and pretty much the best one out there for on the fly encryption/decryption. It also supports the encryption of a complete OS.

However as the encryption/decryption of the files will be running live, eating up both CPU speed and RAM, you will be seeing quite a substantial drop in performance. Therefore I would recommend you to stay away from full encryption and rather implement a password enabled boot option + additional encryption with Truecrypt of files containing sensitive information.

As far as the hidden boot option you could for example install lilo, or some other bootloader, on a USB-stick or CD and use it to boot into BT. Using this setup the BT OS would remain invisible to the regular user as the computer would boot straight into Windows without the USB/CD. IMHO this would provide you with the easiest yet most invisible boot option for BT.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by jaydag71 View Post
    I would like to install backtrack onto my laptop running xppro, but I would like it to be able to be hidden to typical disk tools && even encrypted if possible (if it wouldn't slow things down much),, most importantly though would like to be able to have windows boot normally && option to boot into linux using a key-combo && 'transparent' bootloader. does lilo or grub support this type of configuration?

maybe it could go from bios screen to a splash screen, which could be same a stock xppro bootsplash, && give extra second to input keycombo else goto xp as default in normal fashion,, in this way the change from bootloader to xp bootsplash would be almost seamless looking?- if combo input of course boot into bt3.

anyone have any ideas how to do this optimally? I have fresh hd with xppro just installed, resized hd for additional partition but unsure how to proceed from here,, I would appreciate any advice! thankx in advance, j
    Sounds like you must live in Germany.

Just burned his ISO

thankx guys for the responses!,, I have dl'd truecrypt the other day but yet to install it- was unsure how to use it properly! did a bit of reading and still think it may be usefull when used as suggested above.

I had hoped to encrypt the whole bt3 partition but is really not necessary! just cando teh folders within bt3 that are sesitive- still doesn't help with the hidden aspect of the whole os though (i don't think anyways, am I wrong?)

So what does one do when they want a well hidden partition that would hide from typical forensic disk tools? Most of the tools I have looked at so far are built in functions to the partitioning utility,, but I assume that they are flimsy. I've looked at PM && Acronis, I could not find anything with gparted.

For the bootloader- I really don't want to have to use an external bootdisk,, I would really rather be able to press a key-combo to 'covertly' be able to boot into bt3-- I am about to really delve into the grub && lilo docs to see just how easily it can be tweaked,, but if that doesn't work then I am back to square one. I wonder how hard it would be to modify the source to add this functionality?! It is most important feature for me! as far as I can tell truecrypt bl is out of question for this! but would have to assume that someone eklse has made a transparent bl in the past!! gotta keep lookin I guess! I have to assume also that I cannot just simply modify the xp bl for my purposes,, but I guess I shoudl also look into thatg first! I nkow alot of the commercial software for themes and stuff like that have bl and other functions that may be able to be tweaked to meet requirements- seems like alot of work tho,, lame.

back to it I suppose! thnx guys again,,,cheers j

So what does one do when they want a well hidden partition that would hide from typical forensic disk tools?
    Encrypt it. However the volume itself can never be completely hidden, even though the actual data cannot be detected as an OS.

Just burned his ISO

The only real way to 'hide' a partition or os from being detected is not to have it there. I have bt3 with changes on a 4gig usb flash drive that plugs into the front of one of my windows boxes. Remove the usb stick and it boots straight to xp, and nobody's the wiser (although inquisitive minds might want to know why I have 60+ gigs of rainbow tables that none of my win32 programs can use...). I guess encrypting the usb stick or adding password/key combo security to the bootloader would help to secure it further, but as for forensics software scanning my hard drives, my solution is... unplug it!!

And if you're REALLY serious about securing your backtrack os, make your way around the circuit of local bars/pubs until you find a chronically drunken mute with a knack for not losing things that nobody would ever suspect of internet shenanigans, and befriend him. Give him the usb stick and work out a method by which he can pass you the flash drive as needed. Put a red flag in the flower pot on your rear balcony. Receive instructions on when/where to meet in the financial section of the next morning's paper. Switch cabs three times.

Alright, since I'm on this topic anyway, would encrypting the os on a live usb stick slow performance in the same way it would on an hdd? More? Less?

Alright, since I'm on this topic anyway, would encrypting the os on a live usb stick slow performance in the same way it would on an hdd? More? Less?
    Yes it would slow it down, maybe not much more compared to an encrypted HD install, but certainly not any less.

The only real way to 'hide' a partition or os from being detected is not to have it there.
    Actually there is no way of determining what a file container created with truecrypt contains without knowing the password. It might be suspected that it is an encrypted file, but it can not be proved.

ninwii

sorry i haven't read the whole thread!

why dont you just install grub to a disk and boot from that disk ? to encrypt the whole stuff just use dm_crypt/LUKS