Thread: Icons changed on me......

Default OK - so I'm paranoid......

When I logged into bt3 today, I noticed that my Backtrack menu icon and all items in sub menus (not the folders) had changed from the familiar blue icons to yellow icons with lightning bolts (see attachment).

The only reason I mention it is that I don't like it when something changes and I'm not sure why. I didn't do anything that I thought would cause this behavior.

Is it a bug? Did I screw something up?

Did I download a bad (or wrong version) package?

Well there are a number of things that can have caused that, and if you have no idea what you did it is even harder for us to know. However you can change them back to your liking by right clicking the menu and selecting menu editor.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Default Icons changed on me......

When I logged into bt3 today, I noticed that my Backtrack menu icon and all items in sub menus (not the folders) had changed from the familiar blue icons to yellow icons with lightning bolts (see attachment).

The only reason I mention it is that I don't like it when something changes and I'm not sure why. I didn't do anything that I thought would cause this behavior.

Is it a bug? Did I screw something up?

Did I download a bad (or wrong version) package?

I installed Gimp and Koffice and a couple of add-ons for Gimp. I also used FastTrack to updat aircrack-ng and slackware.

Does any of that sound like it could have caused it?

When OSs seem to change on their own, I generally don't trust them and do a rebuild.

I am not even at n00b status on Linux yet, and I need to be sure that anything that does not work as I thought it should is just not working because I have missed something - not because of some errant, random changes.

Developer

I had this happen to me on a usb install once. I tried to add a .lzm I had made and when I rebooted my whole kde style had changed. Whats even crazier is that it is the way bt 1 looked so it was double crazy because I was having a flashback. So the sad news is that I never really figured out WTF happened and since I always run usb installs with changes I just wiped it and started over so although I cant offer any helpful advice to fix it I can tell you you are not the only one.

EDIT: threads merged. No need to post the same topic in two places

Imaging the USB drives under Windows was quite frustrating. Really great apps like Acronis True Image Home 11 won't image removable media - even when the USB drive shows in XP as a hard drive.

But, I found All Image 1.3.1 that does image USB drives - and it's only $25 to buy. I'll gladly pay $25 for any app that can save me the work of reformating, reinstalling and re-updating my BT3 USB. (It took me just under 7 minutes to image an 8GB USB 2.0 drive, and exactly 20 minutes to do a restore.

I also made an exhaustive 72 step How To for Windows n00bs (like me) that want to put BT3 on a USB drive.

The one thing I have found missing so far is dumbed down instruction sets. A lot of instructions will give lists of commands to type in but they never say whay those command lines actually are doing. Those dumbed down instructions are a great help to people like me - learning Linux and the BT3 toolset at the same time.

Maybe I can put out a couple of tutorials to help with that a little.