Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accidentally booted BT at my job

Default Accidentally booted BT at my job

I sort of messed up at work yesterday. To make a long story short, here's what happened:

I had my BT USB stick plugged into my workstation at work (I have other personal files on that stick besides BT). I step away from my desk to go use the vending machines. When I return, I surprisingly see my BT desktop on the monitor.

What happened was that my co-worker decided F**K around and rebooted my workstation. I work for a big banking firm and our LAN admin guy is real strict about the network (he gives up anyone he catches circumventing the system to Management).

This is my concern. Since the ethernet/LAN connection at work was recognized by BT and was working when I saw my BT Desktop, is there any way our LAN guy could find out that I tried to boot with BT, etc. Is there any information that might have transmitted to their servers?

Thanks in advance.

Doesn't sound like a to good of an admin guy who allows the computers to boot of a USB-stick. However, the only thing that BT will have transmitted is a DNS request to assign the computer a local IP address. Since this is something that the machine would have done anyway I don't see how this could give you away.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Thanks for the quick response, Tron.

Default rolls eye?

lol ur friend restarted ur computer,

more like u booted backtrack at work tryed to attack the network ,FAILED/or not, and now ur shitting urself and wondering if ud get caught!!! lol

Did you do anything on BT once it was booted up? I know for a fact that some IDS sensors/enterprise management systems are able to passively detect OSes/programs used by hosts based on sniffing network traffic.

If you simply booted up and the system was on for a short amount of time, say < 10 min, as tron said, you should be ok.

Not to be abbrasive, but why would you bring BT to your office with such a tyrant of a sys admin?
    "Sure is for people with nothing on the line.....you and me? We just get on with it."

-Garabaldi

Just burned his ISO

Default admin

your system admin has the computers set to boot from USB before Hard drive or network,etc?

The system was on for about 5 mins (I guess I should be okay). I immediately shutdown after realizing it. I have my other files on the same stick, which is why this happened. Our entire floor received new system upgrades about 1 month ago (new IBM workstations) so I'm guessing they probably weren't properly staged. I'm sure soon that's gonna get fixed.

Thank you all for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    The system was on for about 5 mins (I guess I should be okay). I immediately shutdown after realizing it. I have my other files on the same stick, which is why this happened. Our entire floor received new system upgrades about 1 month ago (new IBM workstations) so I'm guessing they probably weren't properly staged. I'm sure soon that's gonna get fixed.

Thank you all for your help.
    @Luciano: IMHO you should get your other data, not on the same stick. Some systems are scanning new medias like usbsticks, CDs and so on before using and could possibly inform your admin. Anyway a good admin protects from booting a usb device.

@Luciano: IMHO you should get your other data, not on the same stick. Some systems are scanning new medias like usbsticks, CDs and so on before using and could possibly inform your admin. Anyway a good admin protects from booting a usb device.
    That is actually a really good piece of advice. Most antivirus programs are set up to scan any external media, i.e. CD/USB, as soon as they are inserted into the computer and I am pretty sure it is no different where your work. There are quite a few programs on BT that will be detected as either trojans or otherwise malicious programs.

The AV program will most likely attempt to remove this, and your admin will for sure be interested in knowing why you have brought so many malicious programs to work, as the events will be logged by the AV. This has nothing to do with the fact that you booted using the USB stick, but will occur each time you want to access your other files inside of the regular OS.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

St3f@n & =Tron=,

Thank you again for such great piece of advice. I've never thought about that. I always thought that since the files in the "boot" & "bt3" had linux extensions it wouldn't raise any flags with AV's. But I'm gonna completely remove my personal files and just keep that USB stick for BT testing. Thanks for the heads up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast