Thread: Truecrypt! - Help, almost there!

Default Truecrypt! - Help, almost there!

Ok, enough is enough I've spent the best part of a week and I'm almost there (thanks to various threads (mostly Pureh@ates!).

I've successfully installed BT3 (live) to my 8GB SDhc card and it is booting nicely!. I've also followed PH's instructions and have it saving changes too!

Next step was to download and install VMware Player, which I've also managed to do and it works.

My last step (where I'm stuck) is I can't get Truecrypt to mount my TC partition (that's where my VM files are). THe partition is a 4gb file located on the EXT3 partition of the card but when I type

bt~# truecrypt "filepath"

it prompts for a password, which I enter, then it says

"Incorrect password or not a Truecrypt volume"

It doesn't matter if I enter the Outer password or the Hidden password I get the same error. I know it's the right password because when I enter it in Windows I can see both my Virtual Machine files within

Any ideas?

Nico

Do you have any special/unusual characters in your password?

If you do I'm prepared to bet that you have the wrong keyboard selected in Back|Track

Thanks - good shout but I thought about that - the password for the outer partition is weak (7 characters, letters and numbers) - but the hidden partition is about 20 long with all sorts in it - but neither of them will work.

I suppose I'm wondering if anyone else has had Truecrypt working in BT3 without having to make an changes\additions?

Also, the partitios were created using TC for Windows but I wouldn't have thought that should make any difference?

Help!!

Nico

Just burned his ISO

hi there i think this might be useful
    it was made by a friend so give him the credit for it

blip.tv/file/612127

Thanks - good video but it's slightly different to what I'm trying to do. I have my 2 virtual machines already stored in a truecrypt partition (one BT3 & 1 XP) but I am running BT3 as my host OS - so I am trying to mount the truecrypt partition in backtrack instead of windows - that's where I'm having the problem.

If I could mount the partition in BT3 I could then run VMplayer and open my VMs

Where is Pureh@te when you need him?

Nico

check truecrypt --help. It is pretty comprehensive and will provide you with examples of how to correctly mount both a regular truecrypt file and one including a hidden one. Remember that you also need to specify where to mount the file, and create the mount point prior to this.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

What file format did you use when you created the normal and hidden partitions on your device? I seem to recall you get the option to choose between FAT32 and NTFS do you not?

What file format did you use when you created the normal and hidden partitions on your device? I seem to recall you get the option to choose between FAT32 and NTFS do you not?
    Yes you get to choose between FAT32 and NTFS, of which FAT32 is the default one. However, that is hardly the issue here as truecrypt is claiming that the file is not a truecrypt volume or the password is wrong.

I suppose I'm wondering if anyone else has had Truecrypt working in BT3 without having to make an changes\additions?
    I have successfully been using the pre-installed truecrypt without any need for any additional modifications. The only think you will need to do to be able to mount the volume is create the actual mount point. For example:
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/tc
    Then to actually mount your volume(this will only mount the outer volume):
    Code:
    truecrypt /mnt/hda2/truecryptvolume /mnt/tc
    It will work fine with a volume created using the windows version of the program.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.