Thread: saving configurations on usb>

Question saving configurations on usb>

hey people omg im sick of pulling my hair out over this ,im trying to save bt2 configurations on a usb stick. ive taken a look at pureh@tes video tutorial and noticed that he use's acronis disk director server to create partions on the usb stick, ive recently downloaded this programe and for some reason it dont work on vista home premium, basically is the another video tutorial or guide out there that clearly explanes this, 'it seem's so simple yet i havent come across much info on this.
    i already have bt2 booting of a usb,so is there a way to save with this installation? ,if not im willing to start from scratch if need be.
    (using the bt2 iso ive already downloaded)

a little help is needed with this and would be greatly appreciated

oh and btw i have a 2gb usb stick

ive had a quick look at balding parrots tutorial any chance of some one translating this so i can do it on a 2gb usb stick ??

Quote Originally Posted by *l*i*n*u*x* View Post
    ive had a quick look at balding parrots tutorial any chance of some one translating this so i can do it on a 2gb usb stick ??
    Looks like English to me.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *l*i*n*u*x* View Post
    I mean how much easier could it get ?
    Download BT, check md5, unrar, insert usb stick, partition, and format it. Copy boot and BT folders, execute bootinst.bat. And that is pretty much the all there is to it. Now if you want some real help then please be specific about the part/s you are having trouble understanding and maybe we can help you.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    I mean how much easier could it get ?
    Download BT, check md5, unrar, insert usb stick, partition, and format it. Copy boot and BT folders, execute bootinst.bat. And that is pretty much the all there is to it. Now if you want some real help then please be specific about the part/s you are having trouble understanding and maybe we can help you.
    That doesn't seem to be all there is to it. I have having the same problem. I can successfully boot into BT2 on a USB drive, but it won't save anything I've changed (unless Im doing something wrong)... I changed root password and when I reboot, it still only takes the old root password 'toor'. Also any bookmarks on Firefox, etc.. are all gone after a reboot. Any suggestions. If you can't tell, I'm a linux noob, but that's what this area is for, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Efferri View Post
    That doesn't seem to be all there is to it. I have having the same problem. I can successfully boot into BT2 on a USB drive, but it won't save anything I've changed (unless Im doing something wrong)... I changed root password and when I reboot, it still only takes the old root password 'toor'. Also any bookmarks on Firefox, etc.. are all gone after a reboot. Any suggestions. If you can't tell, I'm a linux noob, but that's what this area is for, no?
    You need to have a save changes partition.
    Check the tutorial again.

You will find that there are four partitions and one is used as a changes partition so that when you make changes or save something it will all go into this partition. That way if you make a mistake or want to bring it back to the original state all you have to do is delete everything in the changes partition.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    You need to have a save changes partition.
    Check the tutorial again.

You will find that there are four partitions and one is used as a changes partition so that when you make changes or save something it will all go into this partition. That way if you make a mistake or want to bring it back to the original state all you have to do is delete everything in the changes partition.
    Thanks AA, I figured it was something I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Efferri View Post
    Thanks AA, I figured it was something I missed.
    No problem, that was what I thought too.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

ok so i followed pure hates .tut instead

in this .tut only 2 partitions are used one for the bt install and one for the saving changes should having four partitions instead of 2 make any difference.

i still cant save.

-=EDIT=-

ok ive found this!!!!

Save configuration to USB stick

After having produced the personalization, open the console and digit dir2lzm /mnt/live/memory/changes changes.lzm (changes.lzm or pippo.lzm ...) changes.lzm you have in root folder, paste in USB modules folder (BT/modules). Reboot you have saved setting up. -bzImage

There is an issue after you save to changes.lzm and boot from the module then make new changes and try to save them because you only get the new changes and not the previous. Then create new changes and have to save them. Seems you have to copy /mnt/live/memory/changes to a tmp dir then merge /mnt/live/memory/images/changes.lzm/ onto the tmp dir. Then turn that into a new module to load. -Kinchyle

If you make a subsequent change, you can just save the new change.lzm file in the /BT/modules folder using a different name: ie change1.lzm and change2.lzm and then a subsequent file called change3.lzm all without merging them. -Milon

surely there is no reason to have to mess around like this all the time??????

i have not tried this as of yet as i am looking for a more permanent fixture.
    I dont see the point in saving changes to have to move them, then save again, then merge, then save again. soddin pointless and a little bit time consuming. there must be some sort of automatic save feature.

-=EDIT=-

So today ive tried the technique mentioned above for saving my changes. still i have no results. there was a file created called changes.lzm and i pasted it to the changes directory on my usb and on reboot "NOTHING" it ****ed me up the arse again. only this time with a 12 inch prick i had transfered some files to the desktop file temp style and forgot they were there. so now ive lost two weeks work of my own backtrack research and have to start over. not that starting over is a major problem but the files were an in depth account of my own personal findings on my road to learning. this has now seriousley pissed me off so has anyone please got some info on a permanent saving method like on windows. you know the one where you log out or turn off the comp and everything gets saved auotmaticly.

thanks in advance Blulite
    I'm smart because I think smart and I think smart because I dress smart thats why I LIKE ME !!!