Thread: Automated Startup Gone

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Automated Startup Gone

Well I finally got the nerve to dual boot bt3b with xp and for the most part its working great but when i log in to the backtrack, I have to do the login thing and I dont know how to reboot after I logout (well besides the reset button ) Did I do something wrong when i set it up or is there a way to automate it again like the live CD did? Thanx...

...or is there a way to automate it again like the live CD did?
    Ok, I’m not completely sure I understand what your question is here, but will do my best to help you. I presume that you want to get rid of the prompt (root/toor) at startup and have it boot into KDE or flux automatically, am I understanding you correctly?

If so this can easily be achieved by editing the /etc/inittab file. To have it automatically start KDE for you, you should edit the following line
    Code:
    id:3:initdefault:
    to
    Code:
    id:4:initdefault:
    instead.

...and I dont know how to reboot after I logout
    The reason you can not choose to reboot and only have the option to log off is that you are currently running KDE (or flux) as an application under the actual command line interface. Once you change your inittab file you will be booting directly into KDE and it will then be running as a real OS. This will give you many more options than to simply log off. For example you will be able to reboot, start another session, change user etc.

It is also possible to reboot using one of the following commands:
    Code:
    reboot 
    shutdown -r
    and to poweroff using one of the following:
    Code:
    poweroff
    halt
    shutdown
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

That was what I was tring to do .

I figured out the reboot thing right after I posted.

Great Help... Thank You!!!