Hello all. A big hello to all the clueless n00bs like me.
I'm brand new to Linux as of a week ago. I bought one of those new Everex gPCs for $200 which had an operating system on it called gOS.

It took me a week of reading this forum, along with a couple of other well known Linux forums, but I finally was able to get gOS and Backtrack 2 to dual boot. Thanks to everyone, especially Balding Parrot.

After learning how to partition a drive successfully and get both operating systems installed, I was stuck in the mud for quite sometime.
Here is what my partitions looked like after both operating systems were installed:

Code:
 Partition   | Filesystem  |  Size   |  Used  |  Unused | Flags 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 /dev/hda1   | ext2        | 10.29Gb | 3.02Gb |  7.27Gb |       
 /dev/hda2   | ext3        | 62.98Gb | 3.38Gb | 59.60Gb | boot  
 /dev/hda3   | extended    |  1.26Gb |        |         |       
   /dev/hda1 | linux-swap  |  1.26Gb |        |         |

All looks correct, doesn't it? Well, when I would try to boot Backtrack 2, I would wind up with a sickening loop that told me:
Kernel panic - not syncing: ****more stuff here that I don't remember***
atkbd.c: Spurious ACK on isa0060/serio0. Some program might be trying access hardware directly.

Back to the drawing board it seemed...
What it turned out to be was that there are two ways (that I know of so far) to boot a Linux based operating system. One is through something called Lilo (portmanteau of Linux and Loader) and the GRUB boot loader. Well, Backtrack uses Lilo and gOS (which is very much the same as ubuntu) uses the GRUB boot loader.
So, my solution was to pop the BT2 live cd back in and open Kwrite. I then navigated to the partition that held gOS, in my case that was hda2. I opened that drive and found the menu.lst file. I was then able to open it and edit it in Kwrite. Here is what it looked like when I was finished:

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=7747aec7-0d14-4d41-a82b-84dbf37df733 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
quiet

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=7747aec7-0d14-4d41-a82b-84dbf37df733 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic

title Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
# linux installation on /dev/hda1.
title Backtrack 2
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=791
initrd /boot/splash.initrd
boot

Now, both operating systems, with a few minor glitches work very well.
Thanks again to all. I hope this post is able to help another n00b like me!

-Brian