Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I searched, need info on 802.11N cracks

...with a password like !3@ckTh3h3!_!_0ff, this still will not protect you from deauth attacks.
    If you mean that it will still be possible to deauthenticate you from the network you are correct. However, I do not see how this actually harms you in any way. Your machine will seamlessly reconnect, provided you have this option enabled, and the attacker will still need to crack the handshake he captured. Providing you are using a 25+ alphanumerical key this will be virtually unachievable.

If you mean that it will still be possible to continuously deauthenticate you, for example using mdk3 that is most likely true as well. But this does not actually put your personal information at any risk.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the thread hi-jack proclivity...

Everybody else, thanks for the responses. I was pretty sure N had no new security measures, but wanted to confirm.

My new problem is N compatible cards. I bought the only one listed on aircrack-ng's website (Dlin DWA643 - Atheros Chipset), problem being it is an express card... which currently isn't supported in BT (iirc). Research is ongoing, if I can get this card to work it should speed up cracking significantly due to N rated speeds.

if I can get this card to work it should speed up cracking significantly due to N rated speeds.
    Sure, but only with N rate APs of course.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Tron - of course

Update - this card is reported to work here:
    http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility/D-Link
    and here:
    http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?...bility_drivers

So, update madwifi to the latest trunk and viola! the card works! monitor mode works good thus far, injection is so-so. The only caveat is I can't get it to work in N only mode... More research at madwifi shows N mode won't be working for a while.

N is still in draft mode, so they are probably waiting on the "final" version before making their updates
    "Sure is for people with nothing on the line.....you and me? We just get on with it."

-Garabaldi

Quote Originally Posted by anubis2k7 View Post
    N is still in draft mode, so they are probably waiting on the "final" version before making their updates
    802.11n Draft 4.0 was approved in April 2008. The final draft is currently expected in March 2009 with publication to follow between September and December 2009.

You should take that schedule with a grain of salt. 802.11n has been under on draft or another draft since Q3 2004.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

Most folks carry multiple cards these days; at least I do. Not fond of large USB dongles hanging out of slots when mobile with my laptop. It's just an accident waiting to happen; mini-pcie, express cards, and pc-cards are a more elegant solution at a cost sometimes of range and power. Though there are plenty of ways to add external antennas if you are handy with tools and don't mid voiding your warranty.

Though usb dongles are cheaper their extremely narrow insert points don't take much force to break the socket and the dongle.

As far as 802.11n supports goes I'm using a Sparklan Atheros WPEA124N mini-pcie which has the latest AR5008 chipset. I'm still testing, though it does seem to have a little trouble under Linux with wide channel support. Again very premature testing at this point. MADWifi card page claimed that the chipset worked out of the box. Go figure.

If you select the right interface you get out of the box Kismet working though it doesn't pickup wireless n on wide channel. Aircrack seems to work but still testing.

The card has a 3x3 antenna/radio array. Currently, only have 2 of the antennas connected. Have an old dead Netgear Next N router that is bad and took the 3 internal antennas out of it and will be using one of those for the 3rd on my Dell E1705 as it only has a 2x antenna.

Anyway always fun playing with stuff. Will keep people posted as well as have it at HOPE and Defcon if people are interested in seeing the hw mods.

xor

Just burned his ISO

solution for mini pci express
    Atheros AR5008E-3NX (ebay)
    I've seen this card use aircrack from ubuntu. I think he was using the latest SVN of madwifi drivers about three months ago, i would think that it would work right outta the box on BT3 final. And they have one for pci express...
    the atheros page -> atheros.com/pt/AR50083NG.htm
    Forget about usb N cards for a while, as the madwifi camp doesn't seem to have a high appreciation for it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12