Thread: getting some settings to stick

Just burned his ISO

Default getting some settings to stick

hi all,

succeeded in getting backtrack 2 to install on a usb stick, and also made a change partition so that i can update some tools and configs, everything seems to be working fine more or less.

however, ive got a couple of issues i cant figure out.

1- my ethernets (lan and wirless) keep switching between eth0 and eth1 everytime i reboot, which means i have to edit conf files for programs all over again. so the question is can i get my lan to always stick to eth1 and my wireless to eth0?

2- this maybe related to my first question but im not sure. everytime i reboot my lan's static ips and gateways get erased. the only things that stick are the dns. my question is, how can i set static ips for my lan and keep them at reboot?

thanks

Just burned his ISO

Lightbulb nvm i figured it out

ok never mind i figured out how to do it, and i'll post the guide here (I can't post in the tutorials section) just incase others are facing the same problems.

needless to say this is only for people who have a full install, or live install with change partition.

ok first off, how to stop your network adapters from switching names back and forth at reboots. this is mostly a problem for people with laptops and certain kinds of wireless adapters.

type:

ifconfig -a

to get all your adapters and their macs. write the macs down.

in the /etc/udev/rules.d directory

edit network-devices.rules

(you can use kwrite for this)

uncomment the lines where name="eth0" and "eth1" :

KERNEL=="eth*", SYSFS{address}=="00:00:00:00:00:00", NAME="eth0"

replace the mac after sysfs{address} with the mac address of whatever adapter you wish to assign to the eth at the end

do this for all your adapters to assign them all eth0, eth1, etc

save the file

now your adapters won't give you a hernia by switching places everytime you reboot!!

Ok, so now that we've done that, lets set up a static ip address. for some reason, netconfig or manually editing rc.inet1.conf does not assign static ips, nor does it stop the dhcp client like it should do. anyways, here's a workaround:

edit rc.local in etc/rc.d

add :

ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 ( change eth1 to whatever adapter you want and obviously change the ip and netmask to yours)

route add default gw 192.168.1.1 eth1 (if you want to assign default gateway - also change eth1 and ip to yours)

save the file

to set dns/nameservers:

edit /etc/resolv.conf

add to it: nameserver 192.168.1.1 (change the ip to your dns ip)

if resolv.conf doesnt exist then either create it, or set your dns in menu-internet-set ip address at the bottom.

reboot, and you're all sorted!!

p.s: you may want to edit /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 to stop the dhcp, as it's usless right now and slows down loading.
    look at the tutorials section : how to configure network cards, post 18