Thread: mdk3 legality question

Default mdk3 legality question

Hello,
    Quick question about using mdk3. Is it legal in the USA to use the Beacon Flood Mode (b) option? I have searched this site and others, but haven't found my answer. Any help is appreciated

I would be using this command and broadcasting from a 9dbi antenna:
    Code:
    #mdk3 eth0 b -w -h -c 1 -n 'name of my network'

Quote Originally Posted by G_Dub View Post
    Hello,
    Quick question about using mdk3. Is it legal in the USA to use the Beacon Flood Mode (b) option? I have searched this site and others, but haven't found my answer. Any help is appreciated

I would be using this command and broadcasting from a 9dbi antenna:
    Code:
    #mdk3 eth0 b -w -h -c 1 -n 'name of my network'
    If the network is your's, then sure. You can attack your own network any way you want.

If the network is not your's, then, no, it's highly illegal. In fact, it is an easy way to get invited to "Federal Pound-Me-In-The-A$$ Prison."
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    In fact, it is an easy way to get invited to "Federal Pound-Me-In-The-A$$ Prison."
    Well there ya have it. What better answer could one ask for?
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Developer

Thorn is succinct and to the point. One thing I've found is that if you are questioning the legality of something its probably illegal.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Thorn is succinct and to the point. One thing I've found is that if you are questioning the legality of something its probably illegal.
    That and the fact that I trust his opinion (and of course if it will effect me or what I am trying to do then I will further investigate the matter) on issues where the law is concerned.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Well there ya have it. What better answer could one ask for?
    lol Indeed!

Thanks for responding Thorn, I realize now I should have added my intentions in my original post. I am exploring more offensive security methods, and was not sure if broadcasting fake AP's was against the law due to interference or if it violated any FCC guidelines. I am trying to stay out of "Federal a## pounding prison" and do not want to cause interference to my neighbor's AP's.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    That and the fact that I trust his opinion (and of course if it will effect me or what I am trying to do then I will further investigate the matter) on issues where the law is concerned.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. While I'm not a lawyer <shudder>, after all those years of studying criminal law and hanging around the courthouse most have had some effect.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Dub View Post
    lol Indeed!

Thanks for responding Thorn, I realize now I should have added my intentions in my original post. I am exploring more offensive security methods, and was not sure if broadcasting fake AP's was against the law due to interference or if it violated any FCC guidelines. I am trying to stay out of "Federal a## pounding prison" and do not want to cause interference to my neighbor's AP's.
    Generating a fake AP is no big deal, and is OK, assuming it's all on your equipment, and it's all on you network. It's when people do it on someone else's network or the duplicate some else's WLAN with malicious intent (aka an "evil twin") that they end up with a problem.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.