Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbee

Just burned his ISO

Default newbee

Hi i am new here and really new to linux.
    I am using the backtrack 2 disk and learning how it works.

cheers..

Default same with me

I'm in the same boat as you. maybe we can help each other out

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

we all started one day ...... welcome, take your time to read both the forum & wiki , im sure you will sorts all basic things easily.

but the best advice i can give you, is to learn linux on another distro more easy, because BT is specialized distro, maybe things as ubuntu or slackware will be better to begin.
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Default thankyou

thank you for your advice shaman. ill be sure to dowload an easier version of linux. also, do you think taking an intro to unix course at my college would help me? (I'm currently in college for computer repair and networking)

Just burned his ISO

Default Installing new apps to backtrack

Hi, I've been messing around with Backtrack for a couple of weeks now and have it running on a USB. I've managed to upgrade Aircrack using LZM files in the module folder and save my customised desktop. I'm now trying to add more programs so I thought I'd start with something simple (!) like frozen-bubble (I realise it's got nothing to do with pentesting but I thought it would be an easy start). The thing is, I just can't get it to install at all. Can anyone help with how to install programs or solve my increasingly personal battle with Frozen-Bubble!

Thanks.

also, do you think taking an intro to unix course at my college would help me?
    Absolutely.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dagger View Post
    Hi i am new here and really new to linux.
    I am using the backtrack 2 disk and learning how it works.

cheers..
    Prob best to readup more on slax if your wanting 2 use BT

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Default well

welcome to the backtrack community and the world of headaches
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Redford View Post
    Hi, I've been messing around with Backtrack for a couple of weeks now and have it running on a USB. I've managed to upgrade Aircrack using LZM files in the module folder and save my customised desktop. I'm now trying to add more programs so I thought I'd start with something simple (!) like frozen-bubble (I realise it's got nothing to do with pentesting but I thought it would be an easy start). The thing is, I just can't get it to install at all. Can anyone help with how to install programs or solve my increasingly personal battle with Frozen-Bubble!

Thanks.
    A better solution may be to go to the Frozen-Bubble website. They probably have documentation that you could use. Without knowing the in's and out's of something then you will most likely not receive very good help here.

Besides why would one want to play a game on a pen testing distro?
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by kooze View Post
    thank you for your advice shaman. ill be sure to dowload an easier version of linux. also, do you think taking an intro to unix course at my college would help me? (I'm currently in college for computer repair and networking)
    It depends. At my college (I took Net Admin as well) I learn about how to set up printers, shared services, scheduled tasks, buck up, basic apache... Probably thats what you will learn at your college too My suggest is install ubuntu, and try to do basic stuff like installing patched drivers/kismet/libraries etc. There are plenty of "how to"s, but on your way you better stop after each step and find out exactly what you are/the commands are doing. So that way, you will have something to experiment on. It's much easier than trying to learn without screwing around a bit. Put a target and don't stop until you get there. If you get stuck use google until you are through, then do it again and again.
    -Google is watching you

-June 1, 2001, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer: "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast