Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accidently installed something, now BT4 looks like Ubuntu

Just burned their ISO

Default Accidently installed something, now BT4 looks like Ubuntu

These are the things I've installed:

Pidgin
    skype4pidgin
    nautilus

I've changed a few shortcuts and keyboard layouts, but when I restarted, I get the Gnome_FastUserSwitchingapplet error ALONG with the ENTIRE GUI looks like Ubuntu. Doesnt even look like BT4 anymore, anyone ever experience this?

Default Re: Accidently installed something, now BT4 looks like Ubuntu

Nautilus is the file browser for the Gnome project, so Im guessing that installing Nautilus also installed the Gnome desktop, which is of course what Ubuntu uses. You should pay better attention to apt when it prompts you about installing extra required packages.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned their ISO

okay, i know i need to pay better attention, etc, yes, mistakes happen, do you know how to fix it?

Yep. You may be able to remove whatever Gnome-related packages and get it back the way it was, but in my experience the trouble and time involved would be greater than just popping the DVD back in and reinstalling. I've gone against the advice of many before and ran BT4 with different environments like Fluxbox and XFCE and they're not joking when they say it will mess things up. Its a disaster.

This is why I use clonezilla and make an image of my drives to have a 'snapshot' like in virtual machines.

Well... it really just boils down to these few things:

1) AFAIK, BackTrack wasn't *initially* developed to be anything more than a LiveCD. With the advent of Ubuntu's kernel being used (*heavenly sound*), everything is much easier (and cleaner) now that Slax is gone, which makes BT4 (I would say) their first REAL installable release. Since this release works pretty much just as well on the LiveDVD as it does installed to a hard disk (heh, or hard dick lawl!), it's still kinda pointless to install it... that is unless you know what you're doing. Which leads into my next two points:

2) BackTrack should never be a "first distro" for anyone who doesn't know linux, unless they're being instructor-led.

3) If you don't know *nix in the least bit, you should definitely not have root. Anywhere. Period.

4) Perhaps we (or the devs, whoever...) should put a big, colourful disclaimer in /etc/issue stating:
    BackTrack is a tool, not a toy. This distro comes with
    Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    ...no big red h4x0r 1t n0wz! button.
    If you are new to linux, this distro isn't for you.
    and move that install shellscript somewhere not so convenient. Ah, something to look forward to in BT5?
    - - -
    But I'm tired and ranting. Anyway, @ OP, visit this thread for more infos on customizing the BT4 LiveDVD. It might actually prove worthwhile for all newer users who want to install stuff without breaking their computers to visit this thread, or run BT4 in virtualization software thoroughly before installing anything.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Just FYI, the official position on use of Gnome in BackTrack is mentioned by balding_parrot in this thread here.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

I got a similar problem.
    I reinstalled the kernel because I have no sound, and Alsa was reinstalled with it so I thought it might help.
    Now my problem got 2 problems:
    I still got no sound?!
    Second: The surrounding (is it called like this???? xD) of the console shown after boot is missing.....Why the.....????
    I hope you can help me.

Just burned their ISO

I just went ahead and reinstalled it. But CloneZilla, I will definitely try that out. I'm dual booting BT4 and Ubuntu and a lot of the backup software I've used either didn't support USB external HDs, or didn't support linux partitions. I'll definitely give Clonezilla a try though, I'd like to keep a sector-by-sector backup also

I also by a mistake installed gnome to bt4, startx worked, and I get the original look back by unistalling everything with word gnome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast