Thread: Ok check this out....

Cool Ok check this out....

Ok so I got this bug up my ass and pen-testing is it and its been there for a minute now... So this is what I wanna know because I DON'T WANT TO BE SPOON FED... we all know that just leads to repetition and not understanding and understanding is what I am looking for... I want an understanding of tools, networks, xploits ect. so what I am asking is if anybody has some good documentation that could get me started on all this... I am looking for books, e-books, papers ect. I need something that will get me familiarized with all aspects of pen-testing... I downloaded both the de-ice live cd's which I have not currently burned yet (just downloaded them today) I was wondering what everybody thought of those also... please help if you can... thank you
    Go jump off a bridge ;)

Quote Originally Posted by IneedHelp View Post
    Ok so I got this bug up my ass and pen-testing is it and its been there for a minute now... So this is what I wanna know because I DON'T WANT TO BE SPOON FED... we all know that just leads to repetition and not understanding and understanding is what I am looking for... I want an understanding of tools, networks, xploits ect. so what I am asking is if anybody has some good documentation that could get me started on all this... I am looking for books, e-books, papers ect. I need something that will get me familiarized with all aspects of pen-testing... I downloaded both the de-ice live cd's which I have not currently burned yet (just downloaded them today) I was wondering what everybody thought of those also... please help if you can... thank you
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...02&postcount=5
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

you are the man thank you so much!!!!
    Go jump off a bridge ;)

Hahahahaha thanks swc666, nice to know someone appreciates my list
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

The de-ICE live CDs can be a great tool for putting your pentesting skills to the test in a life-like situation. However, even though the level 1 CDs are intended for people new to pentesting you will need to read up on the subject to be able to complete the challenge.

Do not rush it and google for hints to the solution, as this will ruin much of the experience. And even though all of the CDs can be competed in 30-60 minutes each you should be prepared to put in as much as a week or even more to solve them, without cheating that is. Just don’t give up, ALL the tools needed are included in BT.

Apart from that, welcome to the BT scene on my behalf and glad to see someone who is willing to learn on his own rather than be spoon fed for a change

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    The de-ICE live CDs can be a great tool for putting your pentesting skills to the test in a life-like situation. However, even though the level 1 CDs are intended for people new to pentesting you will need to read up on the subject to be able to complete the challenge.

Do not rush it and google for hints to the solution, as this will ruin much of the experience. And even though all of the CDs can be competed in 30-60 minutes each you should be prepared to put in as much as a week or even more to solve them, without cheating that is. Just don’t give up, ALL the tools needed are included in BT.

Apart from that, welcome to the BT scene on my behalf and glad to see someone who is willing to learn on his own rather than be spoon fed for a change
    yea for sure I appreciate the welcome and the response I am still wondering where I should start though lol there is so much info out here its hard to tell whats good and bad information you know what I mean? Is there a book or something along those lines that would suit a beginner? any recommendations? please if you know of one that just sticks out in your head when you read this and has you saying stuff like yea I remember I read such and such and that would be perfect for him at his level please and I emphasize the word PLEASE feel free to post the title of it so I can kickstart my never ending learning process so to speak all responses to this thread are appreciated and thank you in advance!
    Go jump off a bridge ;)

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Hahahahaha thanks swc666, nice to know someone appreciates my list
    your list kicks ass thanks for posting it for sure
    Go jump off a bridge ;)

Well as it seems like you don't really know where to start and what you are most interested in it might be a good idea to poke around the Tutorial threads first.http://forums.remote-exploit.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19

It may be quite an overwhelming task to start learning about all the things you are interested in at once. By checking out the great tutorials you will get a better feeling for what can be done using the tools in BT and how to do it. And it might also help you to sort out what you really want to learn more about making it easier to figure out a starting point.