Thread: Wpa Working

Hybrid View

Default Wpa Working

I have to apologize for wasting everyones time and i appreciate all your help
    i followed the tutorial from xploitz to the letter and couldn't make anything happen except an authentication timed out message so i erased wpa_supplicant- downloaded it in windows to a thumb drive and recreated it in backtrack-- still didn't happen so i got pissed and tried just putting the key into wireless assistant again after editing the .conf file changed my interface in the drop down menu to ath1 instead of ath0 and what a suprise- i just burned 3 days and did my best to piss off everyone who actually knows what they are doing> my bad
    thanks for the help though- now i think i'll slink away and leave you guys alone to help solve real problems while i re-read the 285 pages of slackware manual i printed in a fury cause "boo-hoo" i didn't have no internet--
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i am the damn dumbest smart person i know,
    happily writing from bt3 on harddrive-- some villages' idiot, J05HUA

Everyone is learning something new so don't feel alone J05HUA.

I don't mean to get all philosophical on you but you should try not convincing yourself and the world that you're an idiot. What one speaks with one's mouth and thinks with one's mind becomes reality. That's probably the best advice I can give you at this stage.

Another thing... if you have a problem with a particular tutorial, you should post your question in the related thread. That way you're more likely to get specific help related to that particular problem.

Remember... you're not wasting anyone's time, because whoever helps you is not by your force but by their choice.

Lastly... those GUI Wireless Assistants suck, suck, suck. Use CLI Command Line Interface, ie. iwconfig, ifconfig etc.

Good luck
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Just burned his ISO

J05HUA,

I can't agree with lonewolf enough. The first step is to accept that you don't know everything but you know more than most. I can say this with confidence as the masses aren't aware that Backtrack exists.

As for the GUI stuff, use it till it breaks and then have your bash script ready to connect. You could make a script that asks for an AP name and passphrase, auto generate a WPA Supplicant config and start it in the background. Now, you can't close that terminal (yes I know there are ways), but at least you'll know how to do it when you need to.

I can't agree with lonewolf enough. The first step is to accept that you don't know everything but you know more than most. I can say this with confidence as the masses aren't aware that Backtrack exists.
    I second that. I remember my first contact with BT and my shock when I started to fully comprehend just the vast amount of improper or weak security measures implemented and relied upon everywhere around us. Everything from WEP encrypted wireless networks, improperly configured PHP servers and firewalls, use of unpatched and exploitable programs, hardly at all restricted guest accounts at public computers or the ability to boot of a CD… I could go on all day and peoples lack of knowledge about, and even complete ignorance of, computer security really is rather scary.

However no need to apologize for wasting anyones time J05HUA, after all this is a support forum and if you stick around long enough you will be able to contribute with something else than just questions as well

Developer

I also agree. I never mind answering specific questions that show that the user has tried A,B and C and gotten a undesired result. I do not however like to answer questions like "I just downloaded the backtrack and I want to h4X0r my whole school. How do I do it"

I said it before and i'll say it again, YOU GUYS KICK ASS!!!!!!!!!!
    Oops, i shouted, LOUD NOISES!!< by joe, i think my keyboard is coming down with turretts'
    You see guys, i've worked in mechanics shops since i was 15, so being self effacing is a welcome option compared to being humiliated. My statement about being the dumbest smart person i know is in reference to the fact that the most simple things trip me up. that being said i was just trying to be humble and thankful for all your hard work for just creating this stuff and being willing to share your hard work with the rest of us. your opinions and suggestions are extraordinarily helpful to a person who started using his computer for something other than a shop manual for the first time ever just a few months ago. this stuff is an amazing challenge and i hope that it never goes away. hopefully i can help with that.
    viva la libertad!!!