Thread: how to get your Marvell Yukon NIC working

Just burned his ISO

Default how to get your Marvell Yukon NIC working

I was looking through this forum and others (google too) and could not find a fix for the 88E8040 NIC. well i fixed it and i thought i would share.

My system is a Dell XPS M1530 and i have BT3beta HDD install

I have tested this on the above system with the 88E8040 and kernel 2.6.21.5, but it should work with any Marvell yukon ethernet adapter and any kernel > 2.4.20

1. download marvell.com/drivers/driverDisplay.do?dId=153&pId=36

Code:
    tar -xvjf install_v10.50.1.3.tar.bz2
    cd ./DriverInstall/
    ./install.sh
    3. ok the install script has started choose the options that suit your needs. i chose 1 for installation then yes at the warning.

4. then
    Code:
    modprobe sk98lin
    That should be it. I figured i'd try to give before i started taking.

Developer

Thank you for your contribution. Moving to the tutorials section. If someone with this type of hardware could please verify this I would appreciate it.

Just burned his ISO

Default Worked for me

I actually did this yesterday. The only difference was that I chose install option 3 (something about removing the previous driver). Other that that, up and running no prob

Just burned his ISO

I tried to install the drivers on my 1530 (with bt3) and he says:
    check kernel header files (not ound)
    kernel header not fount. ¨Pmease install the linux header files development package or create a symbolic link from the /usr/src/KERNEL_VERSION directory to linux
    Example: ln -s /usr/src/KERNEL_VERSION /usr/src/linux

my kernel version is 2.6.21.5
    howerver the "/usr/src/2.6.21.5" just does not exist.

I tried various things allready but since i'm not realy an advanced user in BT they all had no avail.

also modprobe sk98lin does not seem to do anything, when i press tab after the sk98lin i see the options to take the files sk98lin.4 and a tar.bz2

If you could just point me in the right direction please.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ludkipz View Post
    I tried to install the drivers on my 1530 (with bt3) and he says:
    check kernel header files (not ound)
    kernel header not fount. ¨Pmease install the linux header files development package or create a symbolic link from the /usr/src/KERNEL_VERSION directory to linux
    Example: ln -s /usr/src/KERNEL_VERSION /usr/src/linux

my kernel version is 2.6.21.5
    howerver the "/usr/src/2.6.21.5" just does not exist.

I tried various things allready but since i'm not realy an advanced user in BT they all had no avail.

also modprobe sk98lin does not seem to do anything, when i press tab after the sk98lin i see the options to take the files sk98lin.4 and a tar.bz2

If you could just point me in the right direction please.
    Now i'm past the header error ( i just reinstalled backtrack and it seemed to work) i keep on hanging at the copying file from proc directory.
    its been "coppying" that file for like a half an hour now...

If i just comment the line in the functions text file so i can get past the step, he starts whining about my kernel headers being diffrent.

I also tried working with the patch but it doesn 't seem to work either.
    when i use backtrack 2 i can get it to work however when i install it rather then using the live CD i can 't use the startx, i get errors refering to xauth and xinit.

ive used this driver when using Solaris with my MacBook. It is part of the wiki I wrote for Sun: http://wikis.sun.com/pages/viewpage....ageId=20844950

Being Solaris i had to use a few extra commands, but yeah that tutorial should work fine with GNU. Nice job!

Just burned his ISO

i had the kernel headers error too. bt3 doesnt include kernel sources.. but there is a cure:

cd /usr/src
    wget linux-2.6.21.5.tar.bz2
    tar xvjf linux-2.6.21.5.tar.bz2
    ln -s linux-2.6.21.5 linux
    cd linux
    make mrproper
    zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
    make xconfig
    (open .config, save, exit)
    make bzImage && make modules
    (take a walk)

rerun ./install.sh from the driver src, choose installation, deactivate or remove old driver, modprobe sk98lin and voila!

enjoy!

Just burned his ISO

Updating your kernel to 2.6.23 seems to work aswell
    (on a dell m1530 it removes the 4965 wireless network card, i wrote a guide on how to get it back and get it closer to working with the aircrack suite.)