Thread: Connection timed out error - metasploit

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Connection timed out error - metasploit

Hello everyone,

I decided to set up a 'real' time exploiting environment. I tested with metasploit on my home network but now I'm trying to pen-test outside my network. I'm at my sisters house a few houses down. I opened up my network at home so my target computer at home can be open and seen on the internet. It's Windows 2003. I configured the routers at both home and at my sisters house. When running the simple win32 reverse, I get a 'connection timed out' error. I even connected the target computer directly to the cable modem and I still got the error. I'm not sure what's the problem.

For LPORT(sisters house), I have the router configured for port 4444 to be open. For LHOST, I tried both the router IP 192.168... and the actual IP and still got the connection error.

Not sure what the problem is. Any help/tips would greatly be appreciated it. I apologize if this has been asked before, couldn't find the solution. Thank you in advance.

Just burned his ISO

how exactly did you configure both routers? i don't understand... you're trying to connect to an internal LAN address?

Quote Originally Posted by yawnbox View Post
    how exactly did you configure both routers? i don't understand... you're trying to connect to an internal LAN address?
    I believe that he meant opening up and forwarding the appropriate ports on the routers.
    For LPORT(sisters house), I have the router configured for port 4444 to be open. For LHOST, I tried both the router IP 192.168... and the actual IP and still got the connection error.
    As for the LHOST command you will need to use the public ip and not the local one (192.168…), but I take it you meant this when you said you tried the “actual ip” as well. Sadly the only advice I can think of at this point is to double check that all ports needed for the attack are open and properly forwarded at both ends, as you are receiving a connection error. Personally I have never tried Metasploit outside a LAN network, but see no reason for it not to work as long as all requirements are met.

Just burned his ISO

Figured out the problem. My ISP(comcast) blocks port 135.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
    Figured out the problem. My ISP(comcast) blocks port 135.
    That would be a good thing
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

There is no big red h4x0r 1t n0wz button. Learn a bit about networking and basic protocols (aka learn to walk) then try to exploit (aka learn to run).

I tested with metasploit on my home network but now I'm trying to pen-test outside my network.
    ILLEGAL!
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.