Thread: Problem with Lilo

Just burned his ISO

Default Problem with Lilo

I am currently installing a dual boot, XP/BT3. Everything was going well. This is what I have done.

Installed XP - sda1
    Created Linux partition (10GB) - sda2
    Created Linux Swap (1GB) -sda3
    Booted into BT3.
    Installed BT3 to sda2.
    Edited the Lilo file to:
    ---------------------------------------------------
    # Windows bootable partition config begins
    other = /dev/sda1
    label = Windows
    table = /dev/sda
    # Windows bootable partition config ends
    # Linux bootable partition config begins
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = current
    label = Back|Track
    read-write
    # Linux bootable partition config ends

When I try to run #lilo afterwards I get this error:
    Fatal: creat /boot/map~: Read-only file system

I am guessing I have to do something to allow me to write the mbr file to the HD. But not sure what. Any help will be appreciated. I have read through just about every dual boot tutorial or question that I could find. Plus have been on google for what seems like hours. Figured i'd break down and post. I am sure it's probably something easy.

Are you running the lilo under the already installed BT3 or running it off the live cd? In case you are currently logged in using the live cd you need to chroot into the installed one for lilo to work properly. This is what the commands you need would look like in that case:

Code:
    mount -o bind /dev /mnt/sda2/dev
    chroot /mnt/sda2 /bin/bash
    lilo -v

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the tip. That sounds about right. I will try that.

No problem, hopefully it will work out fine for you

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Also when you "chroot" into the new installation make sure that the prompt changes, or else it will not work.
    Code:
    bt ~# chroot
    then it looks like 
    bt /#
    Other people have at times had problems with lilo only because they did not get this part correct.
    good luck
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the replies. Just noticed I put this in the BT2 Final section (woops).

Anyways everything went smooth after I did what you guys suggested.

Now I have another problem, and I seem to be at a loss for what to search to see if this is a known problem.

When using the live CD it automatically loads into KDE and works great. But now after the install, when I boot from the HD and I have to type 'startx' it loads into what looks like 8 bit mode, the colors are way off and I can't really read anything, almost like the colors are inverted, but worse. I tried typing xconf, then startx, then tried flux, but the same thing happened just with flux. Any ideas on where to search for this, or if you have any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

**Edit: Well I don't really know what I did, but it's fixed....heh... but now I have another problem, windows will boot to the little bar that runs across the screen, then pop up with some screen that says 2 files are missing, then reboots. Lame. Guess I will have to reinstall windows, then boot from the live cd and edit do the whole lilo thing again.

In 98/100 times when windows suddenly refuses to boot there is no need for a complete reinstallation to fix the issue. Your first attempt should be to boot of the windows installation cd and hitting the R-key to access the command prompt. after this the CHKDSK /F command will most likely sort out your problem. And even if not there are still many other possible ways to fix it, of which a complete restoration should be the very last. Alas, this is not the place for a discussion regarding windows shortcomings

Just burned his ISO

True!

And on that note I've decided to ditch windows all together. Still having linux issues, but hoping to get them sorted out. As long as I have interent I should be able to fix anything .. and if I don't have interent, nothing like a good linux book