Thread: Laptop for BT3?

Default Laptop for BT3?

Ok newbie question. I have never owned a laptop before. The only thing I can say about them (i have been troubleshooting a few for friends) is that they are extremely slow comparing to PCs . Anyway I am buying one tomorrow, and I am between P3 1 GHz <-> P4 1.6GHz <-> Centrino 1.5GHz. My question is very, very general. How does backtrack3 run on a 1GHz laptop? tell me about your personal experience etc. for example, Slow? Very slow? Don't buy it? Or what laptop would you suggest for running bt3 on, and using the most common tools? Can BT3 run nice on 256MB ram or bettet go to 512?
    -Google is watching you

-June 1, 2001, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer: "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches."

I have a tablet somewhere which runs a ULV 1ghz with 512mb ram.
    It runs a hdd install of BT2 fine

Also, my eeepc (2gb ram) runs BT3b fine

So, I would say that, generally speaking, BT runs fine on lower spec machines...........

Of course, heavy number crunching will be a bit on the slow side.
    But most tools will work fine.

yes my eee pc with 512 ram runs backtrack fine and i have it installed on the solid state drive. it only performs slow when you are doing cpu heavy stuff. for instance when im using airolib databases with cowpatty it can get a bit laggy, but apart from that it runs fine
    Think outside the box

yes actually i got a thinkpad p3 1.13GHz, 512 ram and it goes much faster than I thought with BT3. It boots fast and even with kde I can start firefox with no prob. Of course if you start aircrack/cowpatty it doesn't go very fast
    -Google is watching you

-June 1, 2001, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer: "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches."

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by aggtrfrad View Post
    Ok newbie question. I have never owned a laptop before. The only thing I can say about them (i have been troubleshooting a few for friends) is that they are extremely slow comparing to PCs . Anyway I am buying one tomorrow, and I am between P3 1 GHz <-> P4 1.6GHz <-> Centrino 1.5GHz. My question is very, very general. How does backtrack3 run on a 1GHz laptop? tell me about your personal experience etc. for example, Slow? Very slow? Don't buy it? Or what laptop would you suggest for running bt3 on, and using the most common tools? Can BT3 run nice on 256MB ram or bettet go to 512?
    Haha, dun know . I'm using laptop with 2Ghz, 1Gram but only assign 6Gb for backtrack (since my old os is WindowXP) but bt3 run super fast . Haha, damn fast lah. Before I install it to my hd, i already install it for vmware with only 256m ram assign but it's work fine (certainly it does have a lot of slow compare with wat it's doing right now).
    Hehe, good luck for you guys