Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could you suggest a good personal VPN provider?

Just burned his ISO

Default Could you suggest a good personal VPN provider?

I do care about my privacy. I want to protect it from, basically, everybody (except backtrack forum admins ). There are some secmaniacs over here, so the question is: what personal VPN provider would you suggest?

'cause it should be safe, trustworthy, yet affordable

Quote Originally Posted by Back|Track View Post
    I do care about my privacy. I want to protect it from, basically, everybody (except backtrack forum admins ). There are some secmaniacs over here, so the question is: what personal VPN provider would you suggest?

'cause it should be safe, trustworthy, yet affordable
    If you need to use VPN, why not just set up your own?
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    If you need to use VPN, why not just set up your own?
    It's a good idea. All my communications will be encrypted that way.

But there is still some information left: the IP-address of my VPN server. Not much, but something. We mean privacy, not 'privacy', right?

We'd be in a much better position to answer you question if we know what your ultimate goal is. From what you've said I'm not convinced VPN is really what you are after.

Basically there are two scenarios for VPN:
    1) Device to device, anything beyond one of the end points is going to be un-encrypted.
    2) Client to devices, anything beyond the device end point is going to be un-encrypted.

i.e.: If you VPN into your office/employers network, that would be client to device. This means all of the traffic going from your system over the VPN connection to the VPN edge device at your offive/workplace is encrypted. However, beyond that edge VPN device at the office/employer the traffic continues un-encrypted over the network. This gets even worse if you consider things like web browsing and corporate proxies or split routing etc..
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks a lot for your note, I obviously should clarify a question.

I spend a lot of time off-site, so I'm forced to use untrusted networks: unencrypted Wi-Fi, doubtful ISP's. I need VPN to protect my personal communications while I'm in a wild world. It's clear that the traffic, which exits VPN provider is unencrypted, but I'm not THAT paranoid, you know Nevertheless I don't want to connect to my own network.

So you want to do client (you at a hotel or whatever) to device (your home network)?

If that's correct then I'd suggest something like:
    Linksys RV042, Rv082, WRV200, or WRV54G. ($80'ish to $300'ish CAD depending on model according to ncix.com)
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

Almost right. The scheme should look like that:

me (client) <-> 3rd party VPN server <-> Interwebz
    .................^^
    ....hunter winner with sniffer

And I'm asking you to advise me dependable VPN-service provider. Excuse me if I wasn't clear with my message before.

.................^^

And I'm asking you to advise me dependable VPN-service provider. Excuse me if I wasn't clear with my message before.
    I'm not really sure that VPN is what you're really looking for.

VPN is not typically a "service" of a provider. It is typically deployed via hardware or software in a specific environment for a specific purpose.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

.................^^

From that diagram it looks more like you want an anonymizer proxy service provider using https, rather than a "VPN service provider." An https anonymizer would provide encrypted traffic between you and the anonymizer, and then your clear traffic just becomes part of what is going in or out from the anonymizer. Someone with a sniffer between you and the anonymizer can tell you have encrypted traffic, but unless they have some sophisticated hardware, that's about all they can tell.

Google "https anonymizer" to help determine that's what you want.

Another thing you might want to look into would be TOR. It's not as secure, and has some flaws, but it might suffice depending on your needs.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

Give this a try: (vpnout dot com) it's pretty decent with good speeds although it is a paid service. Good for when you need higher speed access that a vpn to your home network may not be able to provide. I've used it for the past year and have been pleased. Just remember that the traffic limit you pay for is both upload and download combined speed.

Another option is DD-WRT on a Linksys WRT-54G i believe it has a option for VPN firmware on those routers now. (dd-wrt dot com). But then again its dependant on your upload speed of your home connection.

sorry bout the links but can't post URL's yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast