Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem Running BT3 on Laptop

Just burned his ISO

Default Problem Running BT3 on Laptop

Hi, I am having a problem with using BT3 on my laptop. I have an ati x1100 radeon express graphics card which I am assuming is causing the problem.

I have downloaded the cd image and checked the md5, the disk worked fine on my desktop but not on the laptop. After doing some reading I then downloaded the usb version (and checked the md5), I got the ati.lzm kernel module, put it in the modules dir and made an iso with the make_iso.bat and burned it to disk.

Again the disk worked fine on my desktop but not on the laptop. All I get on the laptop when I try to boot is the following;

loading/boot/vmlinuz............

loading/boot/initrd.gz...............

Ready
    _

And then just a black screen.

This happens no matter which option I choose. My question is can this be worked around? And if so, how? I am only experiencing this problem on my laptop and both disks work fine on all the desktops PCs I've tried it on in the office.

Any help would be very much appreciated, thank you.

tzu

Just burned his ISO

Did you try using the how into in the backtrack wiki's how to section? you can also try using load=ati at the boot prompt. It was used in bt2. Don't know if it will help but its worth a try.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you for your reply, I have read through the wiki, the forums and have searched google on and off for about a week. I have been unable to resolve this issue.

I cannot even get a prompt window in which to type. All I get is a black screen no matter which option I choose. Even text mode isnt working.

Could this be something other than a graphics issue?

My system specs are as follows:

ASUS X51RL
    ------------
    ATI Radeon Xpress 1100
    Dual Core T2330
    SATA 120G
    2G DDR2
    DVD RW+/-

The only things I can imagine the issue could be with is the graphics or the CPU.

Thanks again.

tzu

Just burned his ISO

Im basically having the same problem on my ATI Radeon 200G Xpress (or something similar to that)

and it only goes to a black screen after installation. When I used the liveUSB, starting it in vesa 1024x768 @ 75 Hz; it worked fine. but then when i tried the same action after installation, i got a black screen, like i did when i used any other option than what i previously mentioned.

So I dont know what to do. But you're not alone.

Just burned his ISO

I am with you guys. same thing is happeing on my compaq nx9500 XPSP2 with the default VgaSave driver.

Just burned his ISO

Default same here

what is the cause of this

Just burned his ISO

I've got sick with the same problem 3 months ago ...the cd doesn't work quite well with my laptop (it has ATI radeon xpress 1100 inbuit gpu),BUT IT WORKED FINE WITH THE BT3 USB VERSION!.i guess it has something to do with the extra packags in the usb version.

Quote Originally Posted by tzu00 View Post
    Hi, I am having a problem with using BT3 on my laptop. I have an ati x1100 radeon express graphics card which I am assuming is causing the problem.

I have downloaded the cd image and checked the md5, the disk worked fine on my desktop but not on the laptop. After doing some reading I then downloaded the usb version (and checked the md5), I got the ati.lzm kernel module, put it in the modules dir and made an iso with the make_iso.bat and burned it to disk.

Again the disk worked fine on my desktop but not on the laptop. All I get on the laptop when I try to boot is the following;

loading/boot/vmlinuz............

loading/boot/initrd.gz...............

Ready
    _

And then just a black screen.

This happens no matter which option I choose. My question is can this be worked around? And if so, how? I am only experiencing this problem on my laptop and both disks work fine on all the desktops PCs I've tried it on in the office.

Any help would be very much appreciated, thank you.

tzu

Same problem here with an IBM Thinkpad R51 (centrino), except that it hang on "loading/boot/initrd.gz..............." (i get no black screen)

Just burned his ISO

Default same here

Got the same problem on ASUS X51RL with ATI RADEON X1100 graphic card 2GB RAM

Just burned his ISO

Same here, long live the ATI video Is it even possible to fix this black screen problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast