Thread: Introduction & Newbie Linux Question.

Just burned his ISO

Default Introduction & Newbie Linux Question.

Hello,

Just thought I'd post an introduction, I registered as I will be starting the pen testing with backtrack training on Monday.

I have read the pre req's and I think I am well prepared, the network stuff shouldn't cause me any issues (I have CCIE R&S and Sec.) but my linux skills are only very basic. I can find my way around and do the day to day tasks but that's about it..

Anyway, I managed to get backtrack 3 installed as dual boot on my XP machine, got the wireless card going (an intel 3945 a/b/g) with the raw drivers etc, so it's going ok so far...

But... I have one very basic question.

I realise that I can run the tools I need from a shell and they are all working , I can also find the files in the relative directories under the /pentest directory.

So I am assuming that my install knows this from the path, but when I issue the echo $PATH command I can't the path to the pentest directory..

Are they referenced by symbolic links ? If so I can't find em..

OK, so here I am, and apologies for the very basic question but it has me going crazy...

Best

WS

The command "which" will tell you the actually path of the command that you want to execute. So, for example "which airodump-ng" will tell you "/usr/local/sbin/airodump-ng". You could then do a "ls -l /usr/local/sbin/airodump-ng" to ascertain whether it is a symbolic link. Having said this, chances are that there are no symbolic lnks to the /pentest directories. More likely, the directories "also" include the binaries, or they include things other than the binaries.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks armedpilot,

That helped alot, now I am a tiny bit wiser ;-)

Best

WS