Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: newbee

Default Thanks guys

Thanks for your advice guys.
    I'd also like to know some more helpful classes I could take in college to help me understand Linux, and computer systems overall. I know a good amount now, but I just cant get enough. I'm only going on in my second year of college, and I can fill some class gaps outside my degree plan, so I figured I'd take an Intro to Unix, but I don't know what else could help me. (I'm in a bachelors degree program for IT support presently).

What about a programming class? Or hardware architecture (thats what it was at my school) may help too... A lot of tools are written in Python, which is probably one of the easiest languages to learn. Also, C will be of some help too, though it is probably tougher if you don't have a programming background. Good luck!

Thanks Siph0n, I totally forgot about programming . I have a Java background. Python and C look interesting, that's a good idea, thank you.

Just burned his ISO

I m currently doing research on tools and found backtrack 2 useful. although i have not got any linux background the tools were very user-friendly. Airodum-ng and Aircrack-ng do seem to work fine but Aire-play-ng did troubled me a lot (my card is broadcom 4311). I also played around with wireshark-wifi which i found can only go in a promiscuous mode on my laptop (thats what i think).
    Airsnort was the simplest tool but did not give me any 'interesting packets' (It did however give me unique packets) that it captured (i am doing these playing on y own network which is a WPA protected)
    Thanks for the response.
    Cheers....

Personally my first acquaintance with a linux distro of any sort came trough BT2. It most certainly was not the easiest way to start out and the learning curve was indeed really steep in the beginning, but none the less rewarding.

The biggest problem with taking this path is that you have to learn a whole new OS simultaneously with all the great tools that can be found in BT3. Be prepared that this will result in quite a lot of frustration and many setbacks along the way. However google and the search function in this forum will be your best guides along the way, and will provide the answer to most of your questions.

The best of luck to you and welcome to the community.

EDIT: Even though I am still running a triple-boot system with WinXP, OSX 10.4 x86 and BT3b I find myself using BT3b almost exclusively for my day-to-day needs. It is a wonderful operating system and I do feel like my old WinXP will have to give way for Ubuntu or some other Linux distro any day now.

Developer

I have said this a million times but I will say it again. If you seriously want to learn to use linux the best way is to delete all other OS's and force your self to you linux. In order to really speed up learning force yourself to only use runlevel3/text mode. (thats the part where you type startx). Most every thing can be done via commands including music and video. Thats how I learned and I think its a good way.

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

Yep Linux rules anyway !!! Much better OS and you get a real understanding of what goes on behind the scenes My first experience with linux was with bt2 back in sep 2007 and I've never used windows since

Also always handy in this game to try and pick up some coding experience. It will go a long way

Thanks for all the input guys, deffinitley excited that im learning the ins and outs of linux!

"Off Topic" I was wonder if it was possible to download and add new modules - i.e. drivers - from slax's website for BT2 or BT3.

Quote Originally Posted by Funnyman View Post
    "Off Topic" I was wonder if it was possible to download and add new modules - i.e. drivers - from slax's website for BT2 or BT3.
    Off topic indeed In short the answer to your question is yes. More importantly you should try using the search function and do some research on your own. Also, if you have a question/comment/whatever not relevant to the OP's post, please create your own thread in the appropriate section and ask there. Thanks

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12