Thread: How do I protect my clients from sniffers?

Hybrid View

Default How do I protect my clients from sniffers?

How do I protect my clients from sniffers?

How much protection is too much etc...

What do you do, to make your system solid...

-----------------------------------------------------------

I found that, I couldn't get a connection to my wireless after
    I changed my "ssid" from
    "greyspace" to "greyspace's"

because the commands used, translate the ' quote
    as a end of a string charactor or limitor.

As a result the command:

bt # aireplay-ng -1 0 -e greyspace's -a 00:44:2a:56:f1:4b -h 00:11:22:33:44:55 ath0

Would fail, and the error message would complain that
    the ESSID "greyspace" was not valid.

This error message tell me that the aireplay-ng command
    missed the "s" after the quote.

Please share your tips with me, even the common sense ones like
    hide your SSID ....

Thanks

try "greyspace's" (with quotes)
    and you don't have to set an essid anyways, bssid is enough for this situation.
    And for sniffers protection, assuming you use wireless, the only way is encryption.
    a wpa passphrase with 20 characters that dont make sense is almost impossible to crack.
    you can use something smart, for example 1234567890abcd"your small-length-password here"
    so you dont have to remember a 20 chars password.
    -Google is watching you

-June 1, 2001, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer: "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches."

The best way to keep people from sniffing you network is not use wireless.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The best way to keep people from sniffing you network is not use wireless.
    Even then it might not be totally secure

I use a stupidly long wpa passphrase and have MAC filtering switched on, i would like to use wpa2 but i have several handheld devices and wpa tkip is the highest level of security they will accept.
    If video games influenced behavior, we'd all be wandering round darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music...............

Just burned his ISO

How much protection is too much etc...
    There is no such thing. Its a concept called defense in depth. There is no internal and external network anymore. Treat every computer the same, and such its security level. No one measure is enough, you need a layered approach. And remember that hopefully your targets are doing the same(you do want worthy opponents right?)

Remember there is no spoon!
    gnucitizen.org/blog/there-is-no-spoon

[When I say targets I don't want to disturb anyone, but after all if your "pen-testing" there should be a target. But feel free to replace that word with client, local testing server, or whatever makes you feel comfortable]

Thanks aggtrfrad, your right using Double Quotes around "greyspace's" fixed the command and therefore made me glad that I asked that question.

Barry, Thanks for your answer, and your right if you don't use it you can't loose it. ;-)
    Actually "Zone Alarm" had that little lock where you could disable your internet when
    your not using it... And for people using windose, (Like my dad) I have created an Icon or shortcut to there connection/network to disable the internet when not using.

KaYoS, your point very valid for me as well because I don't know how to get my Dlink Router connecting via wpa or wpa2 without major drops...... or no connection at all
    some day I'll figure out the difference between IP, IVS, DNS, and PMS.

c0dak, thanks for the link, I read it completely as it was very interesting. Your views from both side of the fence also interesting. I bet your a good chess player.

Just burned his ISO

Haven't played chess in years but I am always up for a game of capture the flag...

gnucitizen is a really good blog to watch for lots of useful infos...

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greyspace View Post
    Actually "Zone Alarm" had that little lock where you could disable your internet when your not using it...
    That lock is still there in the newer versions of zone alarms.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

http://ranum.com/security/computer_s...lendar/nov.jpg

Yea, I like Marcus Ranum. He has probably one of the coolest hobbies in the world.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69