Thread: Can I Tripple Boot with BT3, Ubuntu, XP

Default Can I Tripple Boot with BT3, Ubuntu, XP

Can I Tripple Boot with BT3, Ubuntu, XP?

My current system is, arrrrg, I can post a URL,,, please search "this forum"
    "Toshiba satellite M60", or "showthread.php?t=13880"
    if system information is needed for my inquiry.

Yes, I have searched the topics, and I have read a lot of great primers; in fact, I have actually created a BT3 Bootable USB flash drive. Thanks to the help offered at this site. Special thanks to pureh@te.

The Problem for me, is the partitions, as I have too many primary partitions and I don't know how or what to change, or even if it can be done.

For Example:
    I have a XP Primary partition
    a Ubuntu "\" Primary partition
    a Ubuntu "\home" Primary partition
    (This is so I can keep my configuration, when I reinstall the
    Main Ubuntu or mangle a Kernal etc..)
    and finally a Primary Extended, which is where my Logical Swap file is
    living.

It is also my understanding that I can only have four Primary partitions, and I haven't been able to get my thoughts on these partitions answered by reading the many great works allready posted.

Thanks

hello,

http://bricowifi.blogspot.com/2008/0...-ubuntu-8.html

bt ~ # fdisk /dev/sda

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 11978.
    There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
    and could in certain setups cause problems with:
    1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
    2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sda: 98.5 GB, 98522403840 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 11978 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 4079 32764536 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2 * 4080 5174 8795587+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda3 5175 11978 54653130 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 5175 11694 52371868+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda6 11695 11978 2281198+ 82 Linux swap

"For Example:
    I have a XP Primary partition
    a Ubuntu "\" Primary partition
    a Ubuntu "\home" Primary partition
    (This is so I can keep my configuration, when I reinstall the
    Main Ubuntu or mangle a Kernal etc..)
    and finally a Primary Extended, which is where my Logical Swap file is
    living."

extend primary with a new partition with BT

Just burned his ISO

With Linux you are truly only limited by your imagination. We could sit here forever and discuss the perfect configuration of partitions and everyone would have a different opinion and a different method. But if you read enough tutorials you will find a general underlying method. Anyways the short and easiest answer I think, for you, would be generally speaking to resize a Windows partition and then install Ubuntu next and use its pretty little wizards to make extra additional partitions, including the partitions you want to use for other operating systems. Then simply modify grub as needed when you install to those other partitions. I haven't used Ubuntu in a long long time but I imagine they haven't lost there easy to use partitioning tool during the beginning of the install. Anyways I could go on for days about how to install a million different ways but its something that you will continually get more comfortable with the more and more you work with Linux. That being said install and reinstall as much as possible and eventually you will be a master of it and probably school us.

I would recommend making a backup of your /home partition before you start as well.

You need to install windows first as it does not give you a bootloader choice, it just installs it to the mbr, overwriting whats allready there.

Speaking of reinstalling, ive done my laptop about 15 times these last few days, but now im happy with it, so just keep persevering, you will be doing it with your eyes closed soon
    If video games influenced behavior, we'd all be wandering round darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music...............

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greyspace View Post
    Can I Tripple Boot with BT3, Ubuntu, XP?
    Backtrack wiki:
    http://backtrack.offensive-security....nd_BackTrack_3
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Ok, I am crossing my fingers, I feel brave, I have backed up my whole hard drive using DriveClonePro3.05 15 day trial.

I plan on using the link provide by archangel.amael to install the BT3 beta.

I tried many times to get the pattern of partitions working and failed as my hard drive locked up with a "hidden free space" error
    I couldn't fix, not in Windose, not in Ubuntu, not even with a bootable partition tool.
    I used my Backup and started over, and the same results again.
    I decided that I was going to get this to work, so I decided that I'll let Ubuntu do the partitions
    for me; however, that mean't that I was going to lose my perfectly setup Ubuntu. No Pain, no gain...
    (There may be many other choices, but I figured that I'll learn something if I install Ubuntu, which I did.)
    At the Ubuntu partition window, I first removed the "Hidden un-touchable free space"
    I kept the Windose Xp partition and removed all other partitions.
    I followed the instructions and created the partitions with no problems...
    But, at the end of the day, BT3 ended up in a logical partition.... arrrrrrrrrg (so what happened!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What happened, I discovered that the following logic was wrong:
    "I thought that you can have a many logical partitions as you wished, and up to four primary partitions."
    I wish, I would have had the following logic:
    "You can create as many logical partitions as you wish; however,
    understand that your first logical/swap created uses one primary partition as well."

And that is why I couldn't create Four Primary and a swap partition which included the following:
    Primary Win, Primary Ubuntu root, Primary Ubuntu home, and a Primary extention to hold my swap... (Total 4)
    No wonder I couldn't add another Primary partition for my BT3. :-(

As a result: I had to scratch my "Primary Ubuntu Home" and install Ubuntu all to one primary "/" root partition. ;-)

Other than that; All looks great, ;-)

Developer

I triple boot vista / bt3 / gentoo quite nicely with grub as the bootloader. If you have any issues I'll try to help out.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greyspace View Post
    Ok, I am crossing my fingers, I feel brave, I have backed up my Ubuntu "/home" directory.

I plan on using the link provide by archangel.amael to install the BT3 beta.
    Let us know how you get on.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

I am able to boot all three OS (Operating Systems); Success.

However, I only edited one line in my changes, if there are more lines that I should edit?
    Please let me know.