Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: eeepc surf :(

Default eeepc surf :(

oh crap i wish i never bought this thing i just found out it is non upgradable and the 512 memory that comes with this struggles with linux never mind windows just a thort on anyone wanting to get one of these.....! dont go for 4g version its memory is upgradable . the only upside to this model is that it runs bactrack 3 no probs and the atheros chipset works right out the box.
    You can learn more from other peoples mistakes than you can of your own

What do you mean? You cannot u/g the memory??

Most people just pull the so-dimm stick and throw in a 1gb or 2gb stick.

I find it runs fine with a 2gb stick

Do you have a model revision that has been changed in some way, in that it no longer uses a standard so-dimm slot?

What do you mean? You cannot u/g the memory??

Most people just pull the so-dimm stick and throw in a 1gb or 2gb stick.

I find it runs fine with a 2gb stick

Do you have a model revision that has been changed in some way, in that it no longer uses a standard so-dimm slot?
    well i dont know if its a revised model or not i read online few places and it states that the eeepc 2g surf cannot be upgraded as its memory is apparently soldered to the mobo and there is also no hatch underneath the unit that u remove to change the module... apparently only the 4g and above can take memory modules.

The varying configurations are as follows:
    2g Surf: $300
    512mb ram (not upgradeable), 2gb solid state drive, 2.75 hour battery
    quote from one of the many sites claiming this model is not upgradable

oh well i fell into that one :/

Cool The 4gb version is superb don't be put off !

Quote Originally Posted by fido13uk View Post
    oh crap i wish i never bought this thing i just found out it is non upgradable and the 512 memory that comes with this struggles with linux never mind windows just a thort on anyone wanting to get one of these.....! dont go for 4g version its memory is upgradable . the only upside to this model is that it runs bactrack 3 no probs and the atheros chipset works right out the box.
    We have the 4gb version and i think its excellent and for backtrack purposes i don't think you could ask for anything better, its a shame you got that version cause the 4gb is spot on and its so portable etc, although i must admit for anything lengthy its nice to get out the 15" screen laptop although the eee pc701 does plug into an external monitor i just plugged it in and it did a dual screen straigh away didn't even need to press anything don't want to be the anoying git with the smarmy reply but ALWAYS do your research on the net before you go and plough your money into something.
    Anyways too late now go and look at all the wonderfull things you can do with it and i can't think of ne reason why someone would want to put xp on one i mean its ready to go in about 10 secs.

i dont doubt the 4g version will be good just the fact it can be upgraded is a bonus so i mite return this this on the onus that i bought it on the assumption it can be upgraded, i think asus isnt right on making this model non upgradable i mean come on 512 meg in this day and age of tech, its a joke...! linux struggles with 512 so ide hate to think what windowz would be like either way this is going back to pc world the added £50 u pay for the 4g version doesnt really justify the cost as realistically your only paying for the upgradability and an extra 2 gig which u wouldnt need anyway if your like me with so many usb flash and hard drives lying around my opinion is that the 2g surf is a wasted piece of potentially good hardware..

Well, ordinarily your claim of 512mb being insufficient would probably be warranted for most "full blown" OS's

However, the eepc is really sold under the premise that you'll use it for what it is - i.e. a small, portable, low power machine, running a customised OS.
    Reasonably sufficiently equipped for its intended role.

The customised Xandros's kernel doesn't even recognise or support more than 1gb memory anyway!

Anyway, as for your particular model, I don't have any first hand experience with it at all - so take the following with a pinch of salt:

From what I recall, when I originally investigated the idea of buying an eeepc, I found comments about some models having, or not having, the "trap door" fitted on the underside.
    When people mentioned the "memory being soldered to the board" I *think* that often the word "memory" was being used interchangeably as meaning the *physical ram* or the *SSHD hard drive*
    The SSHD is soldered to the board.

Some models came equipped with a 2nd empty mini-pci slot which could be used for fitting a 2nd SSHD. There was some "odd" talk about it only being intended to be used with a "ghosting" utility, which would allow the OS to be moved, in its entirety, to a larger drive, rendering the original drive unused!?
    There was speculation that when licensing terms were discussed with Microsoft, that the 2nd mini-pci slot was removed, due to the possibility of simply cloning the XP OS onto another drive and adding it to other non-XP eeepc's. I'm not at all convinced about it, but that's one of the main discussions surrounding the "disappearing" mini-pci slot.
    It seemed to me that both versions, with and without the 2nd mini-pci slot, were being concurrently manufactured anyway, rather than first being manufactured *with* the 2nd slot and then at some date the 2nd slot being dropped.
    I wondered if it was simply an "upgradeabilty" idea that was dropped during production. It would most certainly make it a much easier and cheaper proposition for them to "swap out" a dead drive under warranty, by simply adding a new drive in the 2nd slot. This would also account for why the 1st slots drive would become unused if the 2nd slot was "activated"
    There didn't really appear to be any official comment as to why the inclusion/exclusion .
    Anyway, just a pointer about the variation of revisions available, to help you in your searching

I also recall mention of the fact that with models *without* the trap door, you could still access and change the ram, however the entire casing would need to be removed.

All of the above is information I picked up along the way, mainly from the eeeuser site/forum, and was during the *very* early days of the eeepc release.
    So, it may or may not be correct - but worth you looking into anyway, imho
    It may be that you *can* change your ram, albeit at the hassle of splitting the casing.

I would recommend buying the 4gb 512mb model and then throw in a 2gb stick of ram, as opposed to buying the more expensive 1gb version in the first place. The end cost is about the same, but you have 2gb ram instead

thanks for that rather long post reply reality it was very informative i just wished ide did a little bit more homework before i went out and bought the dam thing , anyway according to most websites ive been they all state that the ram in the 2g surf is soldered to the mobo and i dont really fancy splitting my case to find out that it is

The 2g has a different mobo. The ram is on the board.

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/eee_pc_701#models
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

I have windows XP running on a 8 year old HP pavilion with 128 mb of ram and a 9 gb hard drive, It runs fine with a decent speed, hell it starts up faster then my Pent 4. I don't know what your problem is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast