Thread: Cracking WPA/WPA2?

Just burned his ISO

Default Cracking WPA/WPA2?

First of all I want to say thanks to everyone here for all of the good information that is provided. This is a great website and very helpful for super mega newbies like me

I am a bit confused. I have read, searched and I think I have gotten answers but I am not sure.

I am using the D-Link DWL-G122 ver.C1. I am using it on BackTrack 2 installed in a VMware workstation virtual machine. I remember reading somewhere that the rt73 driver is supposed to be very good, but ver. C1 has some issues, or I misunderstood what I read.

I was able to crack the WEP key on my Belkin N1 router, but I am having trouble with WPA/WPA2. I have followed multiple tutorials and I have had no luck. I am able to get up to the de- authentication, and once I de-authenticate my laptop from the router and connect again, I am not capturing the four-way handshake. I have de-authenticated my laptop and reconnected 10+ times and still nothing.

What I want to know is, if it is possible to catch the four-way handshake using the D-Link DWL-G122 ver.C1

I am a beginner at this so please take it easy

TIA

BTW- I have tried the Tutorial that Xploitz made which was great and also the one from the aircrack's website and went over the troubleshooting tips that are in the aircrack WPA tutorial with no luck.

Just burned his ISO reaper_unique's Avatar

I have the same problem, the only difference is that I use a realtek 8187 chipset USB adapter.
    So it would be great if someone who knows the awnser would respond
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." U_U

Just burned his ISO

Just for some added information.

I was looking at wireshark at the same time my laptop was connecting and I am getting the following:

Protocol: Info:
    EAPOL Key
    EAPOL Key [Malformed Packet]

Anyone have an idea of why I would be getting a malformed packet?

Quote Originally Posted by zacki View Post

I have followed multiple tutorials and I have had no luck. I am able to get up to the de- authentication, and once I de-authenticate my laptop from the router and connect again, I am not capturing the four-way handshake. I have de-authenticated my laptop and reconnected 10+ times and still nothing.

What I want to know is, if it is possible to catch the four-way handshake using the D-Link DWL-G122 ver.C1

just a quick thought. Is the laptop you are deauth the same one you are using to capture the handshake? Also, have you tried physically disconnecting the laptop from the AP while running airodump or wireshark to capture the reconnection ?
    That's why I say hey man nice shot. What a good shot man.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by f3ntanil View Post
    just a quick thought. Is the laptop you are deauth the same one you are using to capture the handshake? Also, have you tried physically disconnecting the laptop from the AP while running airodump or wireshark to capture the reconnection ?
    No, I was using backtrack 2 on my desktop to deauth. I also kinda got tired of deauth, so what I am doing now is manually clicking disconnect and connect while I watch wireshark and airodump do their thing.

Just burned his ISO reaper_unique's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by f3ntanil View Post
    And if it is?
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." U_U

Quote Originally Posted by zacki View Post
    First of all I want to say thanks to everyone here for all of the good information that is provided. This is a great website and very helpful for super mega newbies like me

I am a bit confused. I have read, searched and I think I have gotten answers but I am not sure.

I am using the D-Link DWL-G122 ver.C1. I am using it on BackTrack 2 installed in a VMware workstation virtual machine. I remember reading somewhere that the rt73 driver is supposed to be very good, but ver. C1 has some issues, or I misunderstood what I read.

I was able to crack the WEP key on my Belkin N1 router, but I am having trouble with WPA/WPA2. I have followed multiple tutorials and I have had no luck. I am able to get up to the de- authentication, and once I de-authenticate my laptop from the router and connect again, I am not capturing the four-way handshake. I have de-authenticated my laptop and reconnected 10+ times and still nothing.

I am a beginner at this so please take it easy

TIA

BTW- I have tried the Tutorial that Xploitz made which was great and also the one from the aircrack's website and went over the troubleshooting tips that are in the aircrack WPA tutorial with no luck.

to deauth, it should be standard the way I & everyone else has done it........ Once you do this, you should get your handshake in well under a minute, Unless you are seeing some other errors or something else that's stopping you? can you post your commands here so we can have a look to what your typing, & where it is you are going wrong? It's also worth trying a massive deauth like 10 or even 100 lol just to be sure

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by samsung View Post
    to deauth, it should be standard the way I & everyone else has done it........ Once you do this, you should get your handshake in well under a minute, Unless you are seeing some other errors or something else that's stopping you? can you post your commands here so we can have a look to what your typing, & where it is you are going wrong? It's also worth trying a massive deauth like 10 or even 100 lol just to be sure
    Thank you for the reply. I finally got it to work. It was a multiple things I am going to assume.

1. My laptop was using the Belkin N1 wireless card. From what I read somewhere, i am not able to catch the handshake because the DWL-G122 does not support N. So I installed my Linksys WPC54G ver.3 PCMCIA card on my laptop.

2. Reinstalled the Enhanced Ralink RT73 drivers. I think that even thought the installation the first time looked like it went well. Wireshark was not seeing anything at all related to the authentication process.

After that I tried it again and it worked the first time I tried it.

One thing I did notice was that I am able to deauth the Belkin N1 card, but the Linksys card would remain connected to the router. I did not do anything different for the both cards. Same exact commands.

ty

Have some issues to with my DWL-g122 version C1.

My issues is that the USB-dongle works sometimes.
    Sometimes it works to crack my WEP but sometimes after i putted it in Monitor mode with airmon-ng then it just stops work = dont find any wireless nets in my area with airpdump.ng.

Sorry for OT but feels maybe kinda useless if there is an easy answer to geta round the problem or someone could give me some other threads that i maybe havent found.

Byebye

Just burned his ISO

Funny that you mention that. I have he same problem, where my dongle doesn't detect anything even though is in monitor mode and everything on it looks fine.

What I have to do for it to see the networks is to unplug it and then plug it back in. Once I plug it back in, I bring the dongle up and set it to monitor mode then it works.

Try unplugging it and then plug it back in.