Thread: How do I open port 20,21, and 22 in Backtrack 2?

Default How do I open port 20,21, and 22 in Backtrack 2?

I'd like to just now how to open these ports in backtrack.

Also, just curious, but the other day I ran ssh from the terminal and it said that it was unable to execute the binary file, what does this mean? Was it busy?

Quote Originally Posted by drakoth777 View Post
    I'd like to just now how to open these ports in backtrack.

Also, just curious, but the other day I ran ssh from the terminal and it said that it was unable to execute the binary file, what does this mean? Was it busy?
    depends on what your trying to do? do you have/know basic TCP/IP? why are you trying to open these ports, & again, what exactly are you trying to do?

I work out of town during the week, so my game plan was. I was gonna setup a computer to be running all the time from my home with it's router forwarding those ports. Then, during the week, after work, and when I'm bored, I was gonna ssh into the computer running at home, which would be running backtrack 2, then play around and learn some stuff.

I'm sure it's unwise to leave these ports open all the time. How do you set it up to where those ports only open when I try to access them? If it's more complicated, then just give me the easy way to just leave them open, because I have nothing of value in that computer.

Also, another questions, I've been using fedora 8 and have learned linux by that route. However, I've always wondered. If I'm in the terminal and I'm running ping website or tcpdump, is there a button or something where I can reset the terminal to stop those programs instead of just closing the terminal and reopening it?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drakoth777 View Post
    Then, during the week, after work, and when I'm bored, I was gonna ssh into the computer running at home, which would be running backtrack 2, then play around and learn some stuff.
    What will you learn about backtrack if you leave it at home?
    I'm sure it's unwise to leave these ports open all the time. How do you set it up to where those ports only open when I try to access them? If it's more complicated, then just give me the easy way to just leave them open, because I have nothing of value in that computer.
    It can be unwise to leave ports open all the time. The real problem will come however when some one finds these open ports with services running on them. This may be the part you are missing here. If you put a service (or program) onto your computer it is generally instructed to "listen" on a certain port or ports. So for instance a web browser listens on port 80 and once a connection request comes through (given that the requester) has the proper access credentials then the program makes a connection. (Please be advised that this is a very generic example.) You might wanna look into some basics of networking. Have a look over on google for this info. There are some threads here with links to books. Try search terms like TCP/IP.

Also, another questions, I've been using fedora 8 and have learned linux by that route. However, I've always wondered. If I'm in the terminal and I'm running ping website or tcpdump, is there a button or something where I can reset the terminal to stop those programs instead of just closing the terminal and reopening it?
    Control + C usually works sometimes it is Control +Q but to be safe have a look at the program's man page

Code:
    #man ping
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

you should have a look to the "service" or "server" can't remember on bt2 menu in KMENU

and LEARN TCPIP & network basics.
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006